AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sony 83A90J, Emotiva XPA-5, Anthem AVM60, OPPO 203, Polk RTiA9 x4, Polk RTIA9 Center, SVS PB13x2
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I advertised my two Empire subs on Craigslist and was amazed at the interest expressed - I promised them to the first responder for $700.00 for both of them. I was surprised at the comments that I should have charged more and even had a couple of folks offer me over a 1K but a promise is a promise. I admit that they were wonderful in my HT setup but I did have to replace one of the amps after six months (thanks Chad). Once I learned that Epik was kaput I just could not rationalize holding on to a product that was such an important part of my private enjoyment that had the very real potential of needing service that was no longer easily available "If it ain't broke, fix it" I guess - lol. Frankly, I was happy to get ANY money for them. Anyway my two SVS Ultra PB13s will be delivered today - Thanks Epik, for showing me what a difference having serious LFE can make - good luck to Chad and Karen Kuypers.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Nice! The PB13 Ultras should be great. Though I hear that the Empires were quite the beast from 30hz up. Be sure to come back and give us your opinion on the Ultras.

Reactions: Hairsonfire

·
Premium Member
Sony 83A90J, Emotiva XPA-5, Anthem AVM60, OPPO 203, Polk RTiA9 x4, Polk RTIA9 Center, SVS PB13x2
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. They were delivered yesterday afternoon and so far, I have one out of the box - I kept hearing how heavy they were - but wow!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairsonfire  /t/1520094/good-by-empires-hello-ultras#post_24420425

Will do. They were delivered yesterday afternoon and so far, I have one out of the box - I kept hearing how heavy they were - but wow!

Oh yeah!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, my SPL Meter apparently has ceased to function so being an impatient new owner I did the best I could with a conservative "by ear" calibration and watched "Gravity" and these two SVS Ultras are spectacular. I whipped out to Radio Shack and got a new SPL Meter - can't believe they charge 50 clams for what looks like $1.75 of plastic junk - but I am looking forward to calibrating them this weekend.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

Wow, sweet looking setup Hair.  Those towers look amazing...what are they?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Very nice! This makes me antsy to pull the trigger on a second FV15HP, but I have to hold that thought for a little while. Patience is a vurtue they say.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRock HT  /t/1520094/good-by-empires-hello-ultras#post_24444428

How do those ultra's match up to those polks and how are you liking the subs Hair? I'm building my theater and have 3 RTI-A9s as fronts and am thinking about getting the cylinder ultras.

I apologize in advance, but I am not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread. Rock, how are you able to manage your setup in such a way to be able to have a big speaker like the RTI-A9 as a center? I am very curious because I would love to be able to do that in the near future. It seems to me, however, that the only to accomplish that is with a projector and acoustically transparent screen.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I am guessing screen is high enough to clear the center channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOandME  /t/1520094/good-by-empires-hello-ultras#post_24444655

I apologize in advance, but I am not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread. Rock, how are you able to manage your setup in such a way to be able to have a big speaker like the RTI-A9 as a center? I am very curious because I would love to be able to do that in the near future. It seems to me, however, that the only to accomplish that is with a projector and acoustically transparent screen.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone is correct - Polk RTi-A9s all around - with the equivalent center speaker. That rack is nothing special, just what the local HiFi shop had on hand a couple of years ago. I have a crazy busy job and only get to sit down in the HT Room on weekends - so enjoyable isn't it? Rock on people!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still dialing those puppies in but initial impression is A W E S O M E ! ! !

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOandME  /t/1520094/good-by-empires-hello-ultras#post_24444655

I just have my center speaker right in front of my 20inch tv! Just kidding. Your right, I'm building an acoustically transparent screen in a dedicated theater. I love those polks and after reading all 340 make that 341 pages of the Ultra thread, I'm all but sold on the cylinder ultras behind the screen. I may have missed it, but I think the OP is the only one I've seen with those speakers and those subs so I'd love to get your impressions Hair.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairsonfire  /t/1520094/good-by-empires-hello-ultras#post_24445985

Still dialing those puppies in but initial impression is A W E S O M E ! ! !

Very cool. I've been battling a severe case of upgradeitis. I have an Empire which has severed me well, but I wondering what other alternatives would be like. Am considering the SB13-U, possibly duals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Empire also and would like dual subs, but obv can't get another Empire. How would an Ultra and the Empire sound as duals? Should I go with the sealed Ultra or just sell the Empire and get duals of the same sub?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts