AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im getting my projector mounted soon and i dont want a ton of cables going to it, right now i just want the power and a good set of component video cables.

Will have to run 25 feet from the projector and will be split from there between DVD Player, 360 and Satelite TV Box, and i dont want it to loose alot of video quality between then.

Also, i am going to be getting an Onkyo S790 System soon to go with it and had another question regarding that - on the back of the S790 Receiver there is video inputs and an output, would it be best to switch the video signals through that or is there a A/V Switch that would work better?

· Registered
23 Posts
I third Monoprice. Honestly, for the price you can afford to try it and if it just doesn't meet your expectation or needs, then it's a $25 lesson. Maybe there is a difference between these bargain cables and more expensive, high-end cables but my philosophy is that if my eyes can't tell the difference, then I'm happy (and $125 richer).

· Registered
156 Posts
I bought, and will buy, all my cables from monoprice. I've yet to use the component cable as a component cable- I just used part of it as a composite cable (don't have any component sources hooked up yet). Even with a composite cable over 35 feet, the quality is good (well, for composite- I wouldn't say its good, but I didn't really notice a difference between that running it direct from the gamecube, which would be like a 5 foot cable).

· Registered
64 Posts
You can't go wrong with monoprice, but I've always made my own cables with coax and RCA compression ends. Now that I'm using HDMI though, I bought my HDMI cables from monoprice and am impressed with both their customer service and the quality of the cable for the price.

· Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0

$10 for a 25ft component cable?

Is it any good?

i bought this cable last week from them and it is a thick and heavey duty cable. I actually got the 5-wire version, so I could pull audio to my PJ when the kids are in bed and I am just watching "whatever". I think it is built on RG59 cable.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I recently bought a 25' CL-2 rated component cable from Monoprice. I was getting some interference on the cable I was using and the Monoprice cleared it up. I'm now running 25' component and 25' HDMI CL-2 rated cables to my PJ.

Highly, Highly recommended. In fact I'm in the process of replacing all my wiring with monoprice.

The only thing I noticed is watch the shipping charges. They are not high, but I have added several things to my cart, then decided I didn't want some of it, and the shipping did not go back down. Simply deleting everything and starting over solved the problem. They obviously do it by weight, so you might add an item or two to see if you can get a little more for the same shipping....added savings...

· Registered
1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk /forum/post/0

I'd say go with the premium... you're still not breaking the bank....

Go with the premium cables. The standard ones are not very good. The connectors are thin and can easily slip off.

· Registered
10,295 Posts
Here is what I did for what its worth. With the intentions of getting going and replacing with high quality component cables down the road I ran 3 coax cables I made with standard coax and thread type F connectors about a 40 foot run. I then adapted them using the gold plated F to RCA males and females on both ends. It was very cheap going this way and the length could be customized. It's been a year now and the signal quality is perfect and no noticeable PQ issues.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me on cables and signal loss could tell me if there is a down side to this approach?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.