AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good video switch box? I don't like to keep unplugging the component cables from my AE100 every time I wanna hook up my xbox. Would like a good, but somewhat inexpensive, switch box.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and pick up their $24 Composite Video/Stereo Audio punch box.

All it does is connect the input RCA jacks to the output RCA jacks with no processing inbetween. You can have 4 different component signals with this box. It also requries no power.

I use one to connect my RP-56 and XBOX to my Viewsonic VB-50 pass-through port with a BNC-HD15 breakout cable which is then connected to my Extron 50ft RGBHV on to my LT-150 projector.

Works perfectly - looks exactly the same as connecting the Extron cable directly to either box. I even checked it out with an oscilloscope.

Your mileage may vary - but it's easy and cheap to try. Also, Radio Shack updated the look of their punch box. It's nice looking versus the old one.

Andrew

[edit] Also, I bought a Radio Shack Toslink splitter ($10) that I use backwards to connect the optical digital audio out of both the RP-56 and XBOX to my one digital input on my amp. As long as only one is on a time, it seems to work perfectly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Andrew. I went and got the 15-1978 4 switch. It's $25. Not bad. I'll see how it works.

Seeing that this is really just a Video/L/R RCA jacks and I'm using a component cable, is there a big difference between a component cable and a regular RCA (Video/L/R) cable? Obviously, the price (more than twice the cost in some cases). I ask because I can't tell the difference between the gold plated, shielded component cables and the gold plated, shielded Video/Audio cables. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I got bashed when suggested this previously. They said "....does not have the video bandwidth..." Please give us another review on this cheap RatShack AV passive switcher.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
They also have an Emerson EVS4000 with remote control switching. But this has a built in 10dB amplifier, so there may be a bandwidth problem. If the amplifier can be bypassed I may be interested for $49. Other wise I'll be getting the $25 Radio Shack.

Huey, I don't know why anyone would suggest a passive device would limit bandwidth, but I remember someone did.

Jon

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i've been using these things forever. don't believe the people who tell you it degrades quality. $20 ps2 switcher from best buy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.