AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I started to notice what I thought was a blown woofer on my PB12-ISD/2 while watching a movie. Only during really fast, sharp bass passages would the sub make an odd clack. Normal low, slow bass sounded fine. Through email correspondence with SVS (Tom) I was sent 2 new subs to change out what was thought to be a blown woofer. I was also sent a free t-shirt as the subs didn't ship out the same day!!

After finding out that the woofers were not the issue but the amp gave up, Erik sent me the replacement amp NEXT DAY AIR!!!! As you guys have read on this board many of times, these guys are great at customer service. The reviews of their great customer service and listening to their subs via people of this board cuased me to spend a little more than I had to buy this sub. I knew that I'd be taken care of.

By the way, how many amps do these subs draw at full tilt? It doesn’t seem to me that they would draw hardly anything until a large bass hit. I just want to make sure that I am supplying enough power for the sub and I am not causing undo harm not having enough juice. Would a dedicated breaker be necessary? How about a 220v circuit?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscofreak
About a month ago I started to notice what I thought was a blown woofer on my PB12-ISD/2 while watching a movie. Only during really fast, sharp bass passages would the sub make an odd clack. Normal low, slow bass sounded fine. Through email correspondence with SVS (Tom) I was sent 2 new subs to change out what was thought to be a blown woofer. I was also sent a free t-shirt as the subs didn't ship out the same day!!

After finding out that the woofers were not the issue but the amp gave up, Erik sent me the replacement amp NEXT DAY AIR!!!! As you guys have read on this board many of times, these guys are great at customer service. The reviews of their great customer service and listening to their subs via people of this board cuased me to spend a little more than I had to buy this sub. I knew that I'd be taken care of.

By the way, how many amps do these subs draw at full tilt? It doesn’t seem to me that they would draw hardly anything until a large bass hit. I just want to make sure that I am supplying enough power for the sub and I am not causing undo harm not having enough juice. Would a dedicated breaker be necessary? How about a 220v circuit?

Hey I know you!!!! Anyway...I don't know the exact number but a multimeter could be an easy check. Unless you are running a vacuum cleaner, microwave and/or hair dryer on the same circuit you shouldn't have any problems due to lack of power and in that case you would trip a fuse.

You just got a bad amp!!! For a bit of perspective on power use...Kris Deering was using power conditioner and we could read off the real time power use. Everything on (at the time plasma, crown amp powering 2 SVS CS 25-31s, SVS PB2+, Anthem P5 and P2 amps, Anthem D1, Denon 5900, a few other minor things) he was at maybe a couple hundred watts...2-300? when things were really cranking hit somewhere around 600 W....and that was the total juice.. far below the 1800 W most 15 amp circuit are designed for (less than a decent mircowave, hair dryer, etc)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Recently, I traced a burning smell to the ports of one of my PB12-Ultras. Upon removing the amp for inspection, I found it covered in American cheese (the processed kind, 2%, some still in the plastic). I got the usual "sorry 'bout that, **** happens" reply, along with the promise of a new amp and t-shirt and mug and pen. Eschewing the overly-cavalier parting advice to "give 'er a rinse", I opted to wait. Days turned into weeks, and when UPS finally showed up with what I thought was the new amp, it turned out to be a box of scorpions. Luckily, I open all parcels via robotic arm out on my porch (can't be too careful these days), but next time I'm going Hsu all the way. Uncle Ernie was right.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Recently, I traced a burning smell to the ports of one of my PB12-Ultras. Upon removing the amp for inspection, I found it covered in American cheese (the processed kind, 2%, some still in the plastic). I got the usual "sorry 'bout that, **** happens" reply, along with the promise of a new amp and t-shirt and mug and pen. Eschewing the overly-cavalier parting advice to "give 'er a rinse", I opted to wait. Days turned into weeks, and when UPS finally showed up with what I thought was the new amp, it turned out to be a box of scorpions. Luckily, I open all parcels via robotic arm out on my porch (can't be too careful these days), but next time I'm going Hsu all the way. Uncle Ernie was right.
??

Is my sarcasm-meter busted?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey

Jack:

I think all this heat has been getting to you. Time to come down to the shore and take a break!

Regards,

Ian :D

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
What you guys don't know is> Jack-boy in the Incredibles, is based on a true life figure!................Yes you guessed correctly...Mr. Jack Gilvey, male-prostitute and sub extraordinaire ;)
Quote:
The reviews of their great customer service and listening to their subs via people of this board cuased me to spend a little more than I had to buy this sub. I knew that I'd be taken care of
It's all true. I've had a amp or two (one my fault driver, :eek:) give out and fixed in a jiff....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscofreak
........I just want to make sure that I am supplying enough power for the sub and I am not causing undo harm not having enough juice. Would a dedicated breaker be necessary? How about a 220v circuit?
Dedicated 15-20 amp breaker on a 110, yes. 220 line, No.

I've run dedicated circuits twice now and take comfort in the fact my system is getting all the juice it needs without any risk of a brown out.

I'm not an electrician, but I'm sure that 220 would be a BAD idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As much as I like my HSU sub, I talked with them quite a bit and didn't get one subwoofer spike since it was damaged. It is used but still under warranty at less than a year old.. I understand their policy, but they cost close nothing, especially seeing how cheap they are in comparison to the rest of the sub. After hearing a quote $15 for all four(they were all bad, but one was cracked), I asked how much one would be.. they said about $10-$11 with shipping, what a rip. I'm using a golf ball to hold stuff up now.

I chose HSU over SVS for reasons outside customer service, but SVS does seem to have the best customer service I've read about from a company, perhaps tied with Axiom's. I doubt they'd get nit picky over such an issue if their subs used spikes instead of bass plates(not that these are as flimsy as cheap, hollow spikes).

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dear Thasp,

I am sorry to hear about what happened. To be quite frank, we do need to improve our service in certain areas, and this is a prime example. Thank you for voicing your opinion, it will help us learn and improve moving forward.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
163 Posts
peter, you're definately a classy guy, and were one of the reasons I bought a HSU(and will perhaps in the future, buy a bigger HSU) :). I notice there was more frustration than constructive criticism in my previous post, yet you still reply with a humble outlook, and with a desire to improve what's not broken in your company. :cool: I knew I was taking a risk buying without a valid warranty, but I still did, and expected the company to support a product they outright tell you they won't in that situation.

I suppose I overreacted in judging HSU. A golf ball and some tape have served the STF-2 well. You'd never see the difference, and for under $360, I have bass that surpasses any boom trash from the local stores that would cost me twice as much. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
A 220v circuit in this case is not only a bad idea...but completely pointless, unless you plan on running a clothes dryer (or other 220VAC appliance) in your theater. A dedicated 15A (or 20A if it makes you feel better) circuit should be way more than enough for most any HT/listening room or any other room for that matter. Couple that with a decent UPS instead of a regular power strip and you'll be well protected from utility brownouts/sags/spikes etc...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thasp, the imagery of an STF-2 on top of a golf ball really made me laugh out loud :D No no, my friend, let's see if we can do something better!

Sincerely,

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Thasp, the imagery of an STF-2 on top of a golf ball really made me laugh out loud :D No no, my friend, let's see if we can do something better!

Sincerely,

Peter: What is the deal with those spikes? :rolleyes: To be honest with you, I preferred the older enclosure type of the original VTF series.

Regards,

Ian :)

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
It is nice to see Peter Marcks help Thasp out.

My experiences with Dr. Hsu and his staff have been positive.

I wish I had been in a position to buy one of the rosewood VTF3-MKII when they were the same price as black, but funds were not available at that time.

Never the less, I look forward to the VTF-3 HO. This should be a fine addition to the world of reasonably priced, very high performance subs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it, I just thought that since the 220v option is there I could do it. More volts and less amperage seemed like a good idea...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.