AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a great deal on a used Infinity Beta system, including two Beta 50s, a Beta C360, and 4 Beta 20s. I'm almost worrying that it's in the "too good to be true" range. So I have a couple questions before I go out to look at it tomorrow.

1.) Are there any tricks that people will try to pull on you? I mean, I'm going to listen to it, and it is either going to sound right, or not - correct?

2.) What do you think about this set of systems - especially comparing them to the Klipsch F-35s + SC-1 + Quintet III satellites, which I had originally been looking at. I think this is much better, and the price is (the part that's getting me) about the same.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
I like the Beta package better and to me, they sound better. However,

they are also forward sounding and almost as bright. Make sure that

you pull the grills off and look at the tweeters and woofers - make sure

they don't look damaged.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the trick is both that there should be no observable damage - and also they should be air tight - so if you press them slightly on one side, they should move back out on the other side to compensate right?

What would you expect to pay for a setup like that? Maybe (looking deeper) the deal isn't so spectacular to be fishy (though still very good)

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
You did not mention the price. The speakers should already be air tight.

Make sure the tweeters have no dimples and the woofers look clean.

Take some of your music with you - if something is wrong, you should

be able to hear it. For the regular price, they are built fairly good. In

this present day, people need money - so they are selling stuff at good

prices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is offering the whole set for $550, which is what has me somwhat worried - I would think that even used, that set of speakers should be more than that...

He's a very talkative guy, who kinda rubs me the wrong way -- that also has me nervous....but this is probably just paranoia on my part -- if the speakers sound great they are good right?

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
That is a good deal - however, look them over and play the music you

are use to hearing. Turn it up fairly loud and make sure that, there is no

distortion. They are built better than the Primus series. He simply may

need the money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet - thanks for your help. It sounds like he definitely needs the fast cash - so I'll just listen and make sure everything is in good working order.

It seems like if it sounds right, then it's working right...not too many tricks, right?

Thanks again,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
129 Posts
If they look okay, they look the same as in pictures on the Internet, they sound good and both units of a pair sound the same, they should be good.

I've gotten better deals than that on Craigslist. I got a pair of B&W DM601 S3, a Yamaha stereo receiver and Yamaha CD changer all for $40. Some people are in a hurry to get rid of things, or they don't know what they're worth. They may be rich and it's not worth their time to research things or deal with tire-kickers

I consider something to be a really good deal if I can get it for around 1/10th of the new price or MSRP. I've gotten several items around that. Sometimes they have some cosmetic issues, but I haven't gotten any lemons. The good deals go fast, though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice price. I paid 550 for the Beta 50s when they were on clearance 4 years ago. If it everything looks good then its a good deal.

Hope you have a strong back or a good friend because the towers are heavy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got them - they sounded pretty good at the place - though the guy was moving (thus selling the things) and couldn't hook them up to a full quality amp. Each one works well though.

Can't wait to get my receiver (Onkyo HT-RC260 from newegg) tomorrow and try this baby out.

Thanks for all your help!

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
3 years ago in 2007, my friend wanted to buy a nice home theater speaker set and asked me to find him a deal. I found the Infinity Alpha 50 fronts, 3-way Alpha center and dipole Alpha surrounds along WITH the powered Alpha 12" subwoofer with RABOS along with a 2004-tech era Yamaha receiver for $1200 even. The speakers were 3 years old at the time and all MINT condition too.

My friend seems to not even know he's got some seriously wonderful state of the art speakers for a ridiculous price. I don't think the seller even understood what he was selling. I couldn't afford the speakers at that time or I would have bought them myself.

I recommended to my friend that he get a modern auto-tune capable receiver to really bring out the quality his speakers are capable of. Nope. He doesn't listen and rolls with the old standard Yammy receiver.

So, my friend ends up with some seriously "hifi" speakers and I have some good speakers, but not quite on that level. I enjoy the sound of my speakers though and wonder if I really would ever trade.

I don't think I'll ever bring home the moon and stars quality for a friend when shopping for audio again, unless they understand what they are getting, because it gives me a sick feeling that this awesome sound system is not really being appreciated the way it should.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts