AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dealer friend has two absolutely brand new VW10HT projectors available for sale at $4595. Shipping is included! I know for a fact that they're losing money at that price. I think that is the best price I've currently seen on a new unit, and I've posted an ad in the AVS classifieds.

The Sony has it's flaws, of course, but it's very bright, soothingly quiet, and has wonderful HD resolution. It isn't quirky in operation like some other units either. The remote won't freeze, it won't fail to sync inexplicably, etc., etc. It's incredibly easy to set up with a moderate throw distance. And it has a terrific true 16:9 panel, of course. There's also lots and lots of tweaks that you can add to improve performance further that have been posted here, and on www.thebigpicturedvd.com and http://www.munsil.com/VW10HTFaq.htm

These are also some of the latest production units available, and there has been a noticeable additional improvement in color accuracy and panel quality with these latest units from what I've seen of a third unit that came in at the same time as these two that are being sold. Even without tweaking, straight of the box these projectors look very good now.

Anyway, I apologize if this post post is out of place here but the classified section is so new and perhaps there are some members who have yet to venture over there, or are even unaware of it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi PF - It sounds to me like you've already bought it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Go ahead and pull the trigger! That is a great deal, and you've done all the background legwork to determine your needs and desires. Go ahead and make the call and welcome to the world of front projection home theater!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sanyo PLV-60 is by all standard better than WH10T for a smidgen more money brand new too :) I normally don't bash ads but since it's here instead of classifieds, discussion is in order :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, all true and good points. The VW10HT is not perfect, as we all know, and it is certainly not the only option at the price point. But, and this is a big but, it works perfectly. It's satisfying to use and a pleasure to own. I have had many of the digital projectors we discuss in my home -- including D-ILA's -- and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But none of them exceeds the Sony in terms of reliability, and turnkey ease of use and set up. This is the projector you buy if you're wife an kids will be using it, too. And at the end of the day, the picture is certainly more than competitive with any other digital projector when viewing HD programs. It's good at playing computer games, too. For DVDs, nothing beats a D-ILA, of course, and DLPs have a bit more contrast, too. But the Sony doesn't have the rainbows that plague every single DLP I've seen (all the new Selecos, the new Sharp 9000, the Runcos, etc.), which drive me to distraction. And the Sony is nowhere near as noisy, hot, and expensive to operate as a D-ILA.

Yes, it's not the unit to buy for the very serious HT aficionado with time, money, ingenuity and patience to throw at the hobby. But for someone who wants to get into the front projection theater-like experience, but who insists that the thing work as flawlessly and simply as the 27 inch television in the family room, it's a very good place to start -- for a reasonable amount of money.

And when you want to get more serious and start tweaking the thing, only D-ILA's have a greater base of hobbyists waiting to help you in your quest for information. That will help keep resale values high, hopefully, as well.

One last thing. Huey mentioned the Toshiba unit. It has certainly gotten a pretty good review. But value is a relative concept, and to me, while a new Sony projector at $4500 seems like a very good value indeed (even if I am biased), as does a $2300 NEC LT150, a $5000 Toshiba seems awfully expensive to me. Again, perhaps I'm just biased, but in terms of resale value and proven quality, not to mention the enormous base of hobbyists who favor and covet the VW10HT, the Sony seems like the better deal in the long run.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
379 Posts
PF

I had a physician friend and his family over last nite for a viewing of "Spy Kids". He has seen ALL of the entire crop of DLP and LCD projectors available, except the 10HT,,, until he saw mine. I also loaded my Toshiba 5109 with Gladiator for a lengthy audition.

He was absolutely blown away by the performance level of the 10HT. He was stunned when I swithched over to the demo loop 199HBO on DirecTV using my RCA DTC100. Resolution in spades, rich saturated colors, a bright clean image, displayed on my DaLite HP screen.

PF, I've had my 10HT since its introduction into the US marketplace. Their is no projector currently avail. that I've seen at this or double,, maybe triple its price, that offers an image that compels me to sell my 10HT.

I'm sure the day is coming,,, a new dila HT projector on the horizon ideally, but for the present, the Sony 10HT remains THE best buy in HT FP's.

Jack

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack,

I agree. Nothing's perfect yet, nor is the Sony. But the VW10HT certainly has many qualities to recommend it.

But I'm not familiar with your screen. Is that DaLite a gray screen, or is it a high gain white screen?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Plug and play, easy to use, big body of support on the net, below dealer cost, and not self serving. Thanks for the heads up PF. I am a D-ILA user and find the Sony can produce a satisfying image combined with high end-user satisfaction and ease of use.

------------------

Don O

·
Registered
379 Posts
PF,

Check out www.munsil.com This site offers a wealth of information and recommendations from set-up to lazy-boy positions!!

Actually, their is a section on screen material recommendations here and,, also check the original The Perfect Vision review by Bill Cushman, who mentioned the many attributes of the HP screen material while critiquing the 10HT.

Jack

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,

As a big time CRT guy, who also tried lots of the digital units in all three formats (D-ILA, DLP, and LCD), I was surprised by how good the VW10HT could look when well set up. Some of the early units I saw looked downright awful, but Sony has their act together now. And you're right: nothing beats the VW10HTs plug and play ease of use and appliance-like reliability, not to mention the enormous volume of support and information about product that you can find on the web.

And as Jack pointed out above, www.munsil.com is one of the best examples of that support network.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
For another great example of internet end-user support for the 10HT be sure and check out Steve Smallcombe's page:
http://home.pacbell.net/steve367/

Steve's SMART process is a great way to get gain and bias values properly set and optimized for the 10HT, and his CC filter tweak is one of the best going for the 10HT. I've had my 10HT for almost a year now. With over 1,000 hours on the bulb my family and I love it! I paid almost $7K for it a year ago. At $4.5K it's a tremendous baragin.

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
The $4595 is not such a good deal anyways.....

Can be found from a number of dealers for under $4500 now.

------------------

Projector Man

·
Registered
216 Posts
It’s my guess that the HP Dalite jackson refers to is the High Power retroreflective screen. The on-axis gain is about 2.8, falling to about 1.4 out at 20-30 degrees or so. Once you get beyond 60 degrees, the performace is similar to a matte white screen. I’ve got the same screen and highly recommend it with the 10HT. It does cause the poor black level problem to be enhanced – as it would with any other digital projector. However, it offers those of us without full light control to watch during daylight hours with relative ease, even if only from the sweet-spot during the brightest times of the day (can you say NFL?). It certainly does make the colors pop when you're on axis.

I’m a bit surprised that the price hasn’t fallen that much since I got mine at $5500 a year and a few months ago. Nice to know the value is holding well...especially since I have one with essentially zero pixel defects :)

I suppose if you figure the cost of a good 16:9 RP HDTV at 4k, then find out you can double your screen size for a grand more the 10HTs a bargain. Of course, you don’t get the extra 100 lbs of furnature and a pair of cheap speakers with the 10HT...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jordan,

Thanks very much for the explanation about the HP screen. Interesting...

Projectorman,

Let me be clear: I personally don't know of any other AUTHORIZED SONY DEALER selling a brand new A-Stock unit for less for immediate delivery. Somewhere out there I'm sure you're probably right that there is an outfit that might beat it by a few dollars.

But the price has to include shipping, don't forget. The acceptable forms of payment must include COD, credit cards (at no extra charge), and this dealer will even take a personal check.

And most importantly, there has to be a 100 percent money back guarantee if there's a problem -- no phony, exorbitant 15 percent restocking charges allowed.

Can you provide us with a couple of links to to those lower-priced dealers you cited?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I don't usually get into other peoples skirmishes, but i called projector people today and they gave me the same exact price

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From ProjectorPeople's Website in the Customer Service area, under "Purchase Policies:"

"We will refund you the purchase price, less a low 12.5% restocking fee...Returns on credit card orders will be charged an additional 2.5% handling fee."

And there was this little surprise, too:

"Sanyo and Sony do not offer exchanges of DOA products, only repair."

In addition, there were other onerous restrictions such as having to return the unit 2nd Day Air at your expense. Here's the link:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/custserv/purchase.asp

Be careful. You have to compare apples to apples to be fair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry PF....

I could advertise here, but I think I'll refrain.

I'll stick to info and question post.

Wasn't trying to bash your friend, was just trying to let the other forum members know there are as good and better deals out there on the VPL-VW10HT. Including sites I work with and competition.

In the end the proof is in the sale.

Say and think what you like. If anyone is interested they can contact me off forum.

------------------

Projector Man

·
Registered
93 Posts
(Greta)

Not sure if you saw post before edit, but I decided not to go there.

Just 2 quick notes:

1)We do buy direct from Sony...have over 1000 various Sony projectors in-stock, including 100 VPL-VW10HT.

Your interpetation of our CC and return policy is not quite right. No additional charge for CC only a 2.5% on returns, because that is what it cost us. Buyers can see for themselves. They can follow the shopping cart through and see total charge in the end.

PF this is the last post on this subject..... my aim really wasn't to get the freebie advertising

Good luck to your friend and you.

------------------

Projector Man

[This message has been edited by projectorman (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still think you should change the incorrect suggested retail prices listed on your site. But I certainly stand corrected about where you source your Sony units. Why the heck wouldn't you say that you're authorized dealers on your website? It's a significant marketing benefit.

As for the 2.5 percent fee, I did understand that it was only imposed on returns and not on purchases. I have edited my post to make that clear. One minor point: American Express refunds the discount to the merchant unlike Visa and Mastercard, so perhaps you could consider amending that policy. It may contravene your merchant agreements anyway.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Apples to apples...

This from Projetorman's website under, "Information:"

"All projectors returned for refund within 7 days of the delivery date are entitled to a 100% refund (of purchase price, excludes shipping charges). Returns after 7 days and up to 30 days of delivery date, will be charged a 15% restocking fee*.

*Credit card purchases are subject to a 2.5% service charge."

Actually, the above restrictions aren't too bad, though still not as good as my dealer friend. Projectorman does offer a 30 day upgrade program which is a nice feature for business users.

But, Projectorman's website lists the retail price as $8,990 which is inaccurate, to say the least. Then the site misleadingly lists the "regular price" as $6499, which is still $499 MORE than Sony's current list price of $6000. The "selling price" is given as $5500.

But there is also something offered on the website called an "e-coupon." I checked it out. Projectorman sends you a coupon via e-mail that provides for a nice $1000 savings. That brings projectorman's price to $4500 which is $95 less than my friend's price.

But my friend throws in shipping at no charge, he doesn't charge 2.5 percent for credit cards if you end up having to return the unit and that's how you paid (on $4500, that amounts to $112.50), he doesn't charge a restocking fee after 7 days, he'll ship COD, you won't lose the shipping charges if you have to return the projector, and, most importantly, he's an AUTHORIZED Sony retailer who gets his inventory directly from Sony. That's worth something to me, though perhaps it may not be to others.

So, you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 10-12-2001).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.