Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LZB
For just a couple hundred more, you get a Panny.
As long as you don't need a stand, speakers and DVI port. The Akai is tempting, although it seems getting good PQ is at least a struggle.

I've had a Panny on order for a while, currently using a Costco Pio 4310 (4300 panel), a very nice unit with the exception that it cannot be upgraded like the non-Costco Pio's.

For me the Panny would require a tabletop stand ($149-299) and DVI-HDCP card ($200-$495). So, I looked at the Akai, but am cautioned by the valiant but not fully successful efforts of Elvisicognito and other Costco Akai owners to resolve PQ issues.

Today I started looking at the new JVC plasmas. They use current Panny glass and are loaded with the options I need (and a few I don't, like the tuner) for very reasonable prices. There must be a catch. :)

Bill

·
Registered
228 Posts
grizzledbiker -

amazing...that price is up $200 from when I looked last week!

based on the labor we are going through to improve image I would definately not recommend a refurb. Akai bought online...totally crazy idea.

You can even beat that deal if you get executive membership and Amex through costco...both get you 2% cach back bonuses - 4% more savings!

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I have to agree with you guys. The Costco one is $200 more when you figure shipping. But, you get a brand new unit, speakers and stand that does not come with Tiger's refurb special.

I'm about ready to place my order. Liked CC's version too but it did not have the CR or brightness of this one.

Question does this one from Costco have DVI? (not listed on web site or Akai's either)

I'll be using it in a HTPC situation connected to ATI AIW 9700 Pro and Fusion II HD tuner card. Probably mounted on the wall using hyrdavison as my main desktop monitor is a sammy 172w(ide) lcd. Really just wanted a good but not too expensive plasma to play with. Will only use for movies and hdtv. Although the idea of running train simulator on it intriques me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just cant understand why anyone would buy the Akai when it's performance is so mediocre. Spending just $300-500 more will net you a much better display. Why struggle to "tweek" an Akai that can never be made to perform? The JVC, Panasonic, NEC and new Sony ED displays are all better choices.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted the mounting bracket too but since I'm not a Costco member, they are charging me $152.50 non-member surcharge. Also since they do have a Michigan store (not locally but clear across the state) they are charging me 6% sales tax of $206.90. Plus their shipping fee of $199. For a delivered total of 3255.23! Now what in the hell kind of deal is that? Not for me that's for sure. Ordered the refurb from Tigerdirect, 2524.99 delivered. I do business with them all the time anyway.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Akai comes with DVI. You have to pay buck$ extra to get that for the panny (my 2nd choice). Total delivered price for panny TH42PWD6UY with DVI input would have been prohibitive with my budget. no doubt nearly a grand more. I'll survive.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by grizzledbiker
Total delivered price for panny TH42PWD6UY with DVI input would have been prohibitive with my budget. no doubt nearly a grand more. I'll survive.
I would say $600 more. And it's a Brand New.

·
Registered
14,830 Posts
The issue that would really concern me is a 90 day warranty, and thats not even from Akai. And looking at the deal from Tiger Direct the Akai they list doesn't show a DVI input. Its a great price but it could turn into not so great of a price if you have problems after 90 days.

I had originally ordered a Panasonic thru Dell then was notified of the back ordered units. I then got a Electrograph 4230 because I didn't want to wait and the 4230 was $250.00 less than the Panasonic.

Well the 4230 had problems and I returned it to Dell. I was lucky to find a 42WD6UY available from thetvauthority for $750.00 more than the 4230. I am very glad I returned the 4230 and paid the extra cash for the Panasonic.

I learned first hand that you might save some but the possibility of future problems and not getting the plasma you really want is not worth it. If money is an issue I would wait till I had the extra cash. That way you get a new plasma and the one you really want.

Good luck either way you go, Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.