AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not familiar with what type of thickness/weight people are using when looking for velvet, but this looks like a heck of a deal:

http://www.efabrics.net/autofabrics01.html

Looks like simple black velvet can be had for less than $8.45/yd, depending on yards ordered...

I want to use this for my soffits. Does anybody think there'll be a problem with this specific fabric? Also, I plan on a rope light behind the crown molding that will be mounted on the bottom of the vertical face of the soffit. Is heat from this rope light an issue for the fabric?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I seen your URL, it's looks okay. If you want to know how I used in 1972, it is still intact, ready to react towards a a 48 inch black light with no cover. After/if you read my clearly marked O/T, you will know what can be done to it and have it still be like new 30 years later!

O/T I used simular black velvet on my huge string art made in 1972, I have a Star Trek setting on a 4 foot high by 8 feet wide. I used cheapo particle board and thousands of nails, black velvet. For star field I sprayed clear acrylic on and blew particles of silver metal cut to powder all over the 32 square foot image.

Seen are the U.S.S. Enterprise, a standard looking rocket coming from planet Earth, stars, sun, anomalies, and a flying saucer for good meausure. Done with various colors on crochet cotton, painted over with flurescent paint. Every night I put a 48 inch flurescent light with no shade against the fabric since I made it I always have fixture and bulbs before burnout. When it gets dark their will be an erie glow from my 3rd floor window.

If you can remember the episodes actual name, there's a man named Gary Seven played by Robert Lansing (12 O` Clock High). I took it off that episode where Gary 7 a human from earth was taken to another planet and returned with a unusual black cat. Actress Teri Garr looked at it it became a beautiful egyptian woman, incidently the cats name was 'Ice ciss' wrong spelling but simular sound of name.

Story line man sent back to earth to prevent nuclear accident from test rocket.

:)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That's episode #55 "Assignment: Earth". The cat's name is Isis. I have all the original episodes on DVD. I'm pathetic.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Anybody who has used this on soffits in a HT room, can you tell me if this looks similar to what you used? I'm not expecting miracles as you can't get much from the picture, but generally, is any black velvet the same as the next for our purposes?

-Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.