AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to buy a popcorn maker for my soon to be finished theater. I'm looking for a table top model, my budget is

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I cannot vouch for that popper, but I know others on the forum have had this model - there have been a few complaints, but also some that have been satisfied. It is a 4 oz, one of the smaller ones, and is not made by one of the "big" guys - (Gold Medal, Paragon). I did a search for 4 oz machines and my trusted brands (Gold Medal, Paragon) have machines that are not much more expensive than the one you are looking at:
http://www.concessionstands.com/s.nl...ategory.925/.f

Compare the model you are looking at with one of these. Warranty is almost non existent with yours, while the others have a much longer warranty.

I personally began with a $20 Stir Crazy, then graduated to a 6 oz Gold Medal (used for a great price). It works great even though it is many years old. I know that the money I have spent (in your price range) has not been wasted with inferior equipment.

I guess what I am saying is this: save up a few more dollars and get a quality machine that will last you many more years. Also don't forget the occasional Power Buys here on AVS - you can get an amazing deal!

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
The problem with the description of that popper is "warming lamp". This is just not true. A 50 watt mini flood lamp is NOT a warming lamp. Hold your hand above a 50 watt bulb. Now, remind yourself that your hand is ABOVE the bulb. Your popcorn will be BELOW the bulb at a greater distance.

You really need a heated corn deck. Where the heat comes from below.

It really comes down to what you want out of a popcorn machine purchase. Looks or function. A popcorn machine is a cooking appliance. You get what you pay for. I have a $19 hot air popper mini nostalgia electrics popcorn machine and I get $19 dollar tasting popcorn and a cute home theater display item. I also have a $589 Paragon popcorn machine with matching heavy duty cart and I have $500 dollar tasting popcorn and a very nice vintage appearance home theater display item. And, I make popcorn in sufficient quantities to bag and server later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts