Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself an FPS expert.....in that I've at least tried most of em! :D

Lately I've pushed aside Battlefield 2 (I began to grow bored with it, and constantly having to find my "team" of players to actually engage in a decent game was kinda tiresome).......and reinstalled my copy of Unreal Tournament 2004.

It dawned on me that there were probably great multiplayer deathmatch games out there that I might be overlooking.

For what its worth, here is my list:

The Best Multiplayer Game Out There:

TERMINATOR: SKYNET - by Bethesda Software. A game from the mid 90's that had so many innovations (long before Quake had them) it boggled the mind. Giant maps in a real world 3D environment (climb up into bombed out buildings), Terminators (complete with red screen and auto target tracking) and even VEHICLES to use...VWeap (see the weapon your opponent was carrying) even model tracking (heads and limbs moved up and down if you looked up/down). It had this before any other game. But what it didn't have was IP GAMING...and such, it was doomed.

The Most FuN I've Ever Had Playing Multiplayer:

SHADOW WARRIOR: The old Build Engine game...the best selection of weapons in a game ever.....a great meelee weapon, stickybombs, nuke rockets, homing rockets, dual uzi's. a grenade launcher that actually WORKED worth a damn (remember Quakes grenade launcher would launch the grenade about 5 feet max?)......rail guns that shot through solid objects...I'd still play it, but again...no IP (had to use KALI online) and today build engine games without 3D filtering...ugh....bad, bad, bad. Primitive is the word really. (and I remember those games looking beautiful!) Also great maps, user-add on maps too.

Lately my friends and I will occasionally play QUAKE2 with the LITHIUM II mod, or perhaps the ACTION QUAKE mod. Both are mad fun...but we're getting a little bored with the same weapons and the same maps..and even the big Q2 maps are basically small....the rendering distance for Quake2 isn't very long so larger maps have the disadvantage of "disappearing" into the dsitance...

UT2004 is fun, light-years ahead of the games I mentioned above, and runs even on so-so equipment. As in "from the past 4 years anyhow".......

But are there other games out tehre? or mods?

I'm looking for someting I can buy in the budget bin....FarCry has too steep system requirements for some of my buddies, and HL2 is still ike $30 bucks..these guys aren't hardcore, so they see a price above $15 bucks or so and start choking on their budget-beers :D

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. Games like BF2 can be great but they really depend on teamwork.

That's why I like Deathmatch so you can be a loner and a rebel. Try Call of Duty United offensive. You get the BF2 feel with a deathmatch ability. Did I mention there's tanks?

You will need COD and the UO expansion to play though.

Half-Life 2 has a good multiplayer addition as well and there's nothing more fun than hurling a toilet or other random objects at other players.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm sure you know about the Half-Life and HL2 based mods. CS: Source and DOD which will eventually come out in HL2 Source.

I kind of liked Wheel of Time based on the Robert Jordan series of books. Never got too much play though.

I love BF2 but in reality most servers have really crappy teamplay (try www.tacticalgamer.com if you want just top notch teamwork) so lone wolfing isn't too bad. Heck, most squads are lone wolfs with an extra spawn point and commanders orders.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was a big fan of Day of Defeat up until the 2.0+ days. They improved the game but also, the more professional the game got, the more they tinkered with it..and the more the Counterstrike_Clowns showed up and turned it into a hack-fest and map-exploitfest.

Sadly, CS and DoD do not offer deathmatch....its all cap the flag and such, which is great fun...but not when you have 3 or 4 guys max in a game. Then its just tedium.

I owned Wheel of Time but never really playe dit...got it new for $10 bucks...and grew bored pretty quickly...I didn't have the time to invest init.

Project IGI was also alot of fun, a real lot of fun actually...but it had no Multi. I bought the second one, played about 5 miutes, and never played it again. Its in my "Someday.." pile.

But the first game was a great single-player experience. Huge maps and cool weapons and damage models. The respawning enemies kinda blew tho.

UT might even be an option, the original one....because its got some great mods out for it. UT2004 is better as a freshly installed game, but there aren't alot of mods out for it. Red Orchestra I think kinda blows.

Its hard to find a good deathmatch game these days...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
Sadly, CS and DoD do not offer deathmatch....its all cap the flag and such, which is great fun...but not when you have 3 or 4 guys max in a game. Then its just tedium.

SNIP

Its hard to find a good deathmatch game these days...
LOL - whoops, forgot you wanted deathmatch. :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have to agree on Half Life 2 DM.

Tons of fun man.

Nothing beats sawing someone in half with circle saw you shoot from your gravity gun. Well, punking someone with a toilet is pretty cool as well. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sheesh people. Can't believe no one has mentioned Serious Sam 1 and 2. They can be bought for dirt cheap, you can play deathmatch against your friends or team up with them against hordes of enemies, and it will run well on most systems these days. Definitely check it out if you haven't. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...Serious Sam...I hadn't thought of those, but I admit hating the first game, something about the controls, like they lagged just a little bit.....hard to describe.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I didn't mention Serious sam for the same reasons I didn't mention Quake 3. I felt it was a little too far back to go but while I am at it, Quake 3 arena was probably one of the best deathmatch games ever made.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can't agree with you on Q3. Q3 was a horrible, boring deathmatch game with substandard maps and an absolutely terrible weapon selection.

Quake 2 was a far superior game in multi than Q3 was, IMHO of course. Better and more diverse weapon selection.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:
The Best Multiplayer Game Out There:

TERMINATOR: SKYNET - by Bethesda Software. A game from the mid 90's that had so many innovations (long before Quake had them) it boggled the mind. Giant maps in a real world 3D environment (climb up into bombed out buildings), Terminators (complete with red screen and auto target tracking) and even VEHICLES to use...VWeap (see the weapon your opponent was carrying) even model tracking (heads and limbs moved up and down if you looked up/down). It had this before any other game. But what it didn't have was IP GAMING...and such, it was doomed.

The Most FuN I've Ever Had Playing Multiplayer:

SHADOW WARRIOR: The old Build Engine game...the best selection of weapons in a game ever.....a great meelee weapon, stickybombs, nuke rockets, homing rockets, dual uzi's. a grenade launcher that actually WORKED worth a damn (remember Quakes grenade launcher would launch the grenade about 5 feet max?)......rail guns that shot through solid objects...I'd still play it, but again...no IP (had to use KALI online) and today build engine games without 3D filtering...ugh....bad, bad, bad. Primitive is the word really. (and I remember those games looking beautiful!) Also great maps, user-add on maps too.
Wow thanks for the trip down memory lane. :D I had and maybe still have Skynet. I remember getting this game as a fix for my Doom addiction and being P'd off to find out my system would cause is to crash! (it had a cyrix cpu, I was to new too PC gaming to know better :mad: ) I could only play it for short periods such as 1 or 2 minutes then it would lock-up. The reason I think I still have it is because I remember seeing the cool box design awhile back tucked away in the storage some where. While I didn't play Shadow Warrior much I do remember Kali playing DukeNukem and playing it on TEN as well as a beta tester. Those where the days! Have you tried Doom 1 & 2 using Legacy? If I remember right it adds +Mlook, jump, higher resolutions and IP I believe. Quake series had some great mods as mentioned. Plus with 3-4 players Q3 with excessive mod allowed some short time fun.

edit: just read your Q3 comment so ignore the last sentence. :p

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well, here I go again:

Rogue Spear ( with the UO add-on)...greatest game ever!

If you want newer, try FEAR. If they cut the bunnyhopping out, you've got a winner.

:)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys gotta read the requirements in my first post! :D

1) Cheap bargin-bin prices

2) Already playing Q2 and its mods, lookin for "something else"...

Rogue Spear is an option, I didn't know it had deathmatch modes....not really my game but definately counts for something different. Does it have deathmatch (ie: respawns in game) or is it like CS where you could wind up with 2 campers on either side of the map...waiting forthe round to end...

Rainbow games I neverenjoyed really, except on the missions where I could lone-wolf around the maps and take out guys on my own. I never liked the "team command" aspect of it all. I tried getting into R63, which finally head weapons you could see (sorry, that makes the game much better to me for some reason) but so far I'm mixed on it.

Lone wolfing is hard....its the FPS you have to play "completely differently', and by that I mean even movement and such and aiming....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing
Sheesh people. Can't believe no one has mentioned Serious Sam 1 and 2. They can be bought for dirt cheap, you can play deathmatch against your friends or team up with them against hordes of enemies, and it will run well on most systems these days. Definitely check it out if you haven't. Highly recommended.

Yeah, hmmm, Serious Sam. I played both games, but never once played DM. Is there still anyone playing it?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Well I can't agree with you on Q3. Q3 was a horrible, boring deathmatch game with substandard maps and an absolutely terrible weapon selection.

Quake 2 was a far superior game in multi than Q3 was, IMHO of course. Better and more diverse weapon selection.
You've gotta be Sh****** me! Oh well, to each his own. What I found great about Q3 Arena was how well and how smooth the game plays in multiplayer. The accuracy, frame rate and all that good stuff.

Not to mention it was the model for so many games to follow that were great in their own right. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Another for the list) Call of Duty, Half Life, etc.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quake 3 is the best multiplayer game I've tried. It's filled with action, has logical weapon selection, bots and functional multiplayer.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The Ghost Recon PC games can be had for dirt cheap and offer a multitude of multiplayer modes--on and off line. Even though they are older games, they support widescreen OOTB.

I am surprised somebody hasn't modded BF2 for deathmatch and capture the flag. CTF is very popular with Desert Combat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.