AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good non-HD non-PVR Dish system. Something with component (if possible) or at least S-vid. What are some of the most recommended systems?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The 6000 is the only Dish IRD to have component out, all models have SVHS out. I would recommend the 301. It has a nice list of features, but it cant decode DD. Dish depot has the 301 for $129.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else? Oh and BTW i live in Canada if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some questions :D

1. If on the Dish site, it doesn't say that the DSS box has "Dolby Digital technology built in", does that mean that it doesn't have digital out or only that it doesn't have it built-in? Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it doesn't have it built in, i can still get my receiver to do the decoding?

2. I noticed that some of their more expensive systems come with the Dish 500 20" antenna. Should i look for a system that comes with the 500 or just any system with a 20" dual-LNB dish? Also, if anything, what's special about the 500?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i dont know what they mean by "built in". either it has digital out or it dosent. your reciver will do the the digital decoding. as far as i know no stb has built in dobly digtal decoding.

and the 20 inch dish is for dish 500, ie being able to recive the signals from 2 sats. for more channels.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Only IRDs that have digital (coax/toslink) out can decode DD. Dish has HBO E&W, SHO E&W, STZ E&W along with 10 PPV channels in DD. (However programming on those channels may not always be in 5.1, from what I read a lot is in 2.0). A Dish 500 is a 20" dish antenna that has 2 LNBs, one for 119 and one for 110. This will enable you to recieve all programming execpt for, HD, non-spanish international programming and Sky Angle. Dish Net no longer makes the 18" dishes (dubbed the Dish 300). If you see any for sale they are leftovers. The Dish 300 can be pointed to anyone of the 4 Dish Net satellite locations. To recieve 61.5/148 you can either get a leftover Dish 300, use one of the LNBs on a Dish 500 or use a DirecTV or Bell Express Vu 18" dish.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all 20" Dish dishes are model 500?

Also, what do i need to receive international? My grandparents would love the Russian package.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Also, what do i need to receive international? My grandparents would love the Russian package.
The Russian channels were on the 61.5* satellite. They may also be on 148*, but I'm not certain of that.

In order to get this programming you will have to install a second dish (18" will do), point it at 61* (or possibly 148*), and a SW64 switch to combine the signals from the three satellite positions onto a single cable to your receiver.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SW64 switch? How much would that cost me? Also, would it lower the AV quality?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The Russian Pack is on both 148 and 61.5. The switch will not lower PQ. All Dish 500s are 20" but not all 20" dishes are Dish 500s. You can find 20+" Dish300s online for folks in Alaska and Hawaii. As for deciding if you want to look at 148 or 61.5, what side of Canada do you live on? If in the east youll point the 18" dish at 61.5 or if in the west youll point dish at 148. Of coasrs if you decide you dont want any of the proramming at those side slots after all you wont need an additional dish.

Steve

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
How much would that cost me?
Just did some searching on Yahoo, found some places that have SW64 for $149. I think thats about average.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$149? Jesus! Oh well i needed a present for my grandpa's birthday so i guess this'll be it :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it looks like the 4722 and the 4922 are my only options. Are there any other Echostar systems that are non-HD, non-PVR and have optical/coax out? Maybe something by another manufacturer? I did a search on ebay and those 2 models aren't exactly popular. Finding a seller who is willing to ship to Canada will be tricky too.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Maybe something by another manufacturer?
Echostar makes all of their own equipment.

Also, the SW64 switch used to combine the three satellite locations is only needed if you have three or more receivers. If you are looking at two receivers then a Dish500 with a Twin LNB, a Dish300 with a dual LNB and a pair of SW21 switches ($20 each) to combine them.

-Robert

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so there is 3 satellites: regular, international and HD? So they have a separate friggin satellite for what like, 5 HD channels?

Also, why do i only need the 300 for international sat?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Ok so there is 3 satellites: regular, international and HD? So they have a separate friggin satellite for what like, 5 HD channels?
International and HD are on the same satellite. Here are the channel listings by sat:

61.5 (Echostar 3)- http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish3.shtml

110 (Echostar 5)- http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish5.shtml

119 (Echostar 4 & 6 acts like one sat)- http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish119.shtml

148 (Echostar 1)- http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish1.shtml

61.5 and 148 have almost the same programming. Most people on the east coast use 61.5 and people on the west coast use 148. Central US can use either.

110 and 119 are close enough together to be picked up by a single Dish500. It is designed to pick up two satellites. Since a 300 is designed to pick up one satellite, that's all you need of international. Switches combine all of the signals and when you switch channels, the receiver automatically picks the correct satellite.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The reason for multipul satellite locations is becasue becaue over 500 SD channels plus 6 HD channels cannot fit onto 1. The FCC only allows 32 tps per bird.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the 148 will be handled by the Dish 300? I heard that small satellites don't work very well in bad weather and that getting a larget sat will help improve that. If that's true, wouldn't it be a better idea to get another Dish 500 for the 148? Also, is there a larger dish that can pick up all 3 satellites?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You can get larger Dishes than 18 and use them in place of the 18 inch dish. There is no single dish available for consumers that can do that large of a spread.

I haven't actually SEEN a larger dish that will do Dish500, but I have heard that such MAY be available for Hawaiian customers.

What WOULD work is to use 3 individual dishes, each 24 inches or larger. You would also use a Dual LNB in each dish. Then you would use a SW64 to join all three dishes together.

However, going to these larger dishes will not necessarily totally eliminate rain fade - all it will do is delay the onset and recover slightly quicker than the 18 inch dish. The larger dishes WOULD be of use if you are out on the fringe. The larger dish also require more accurate pointing.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If you want 148,119 and 110 from one dish you can always 'make' one. Get a largerer dish and mount the LNBs w/proper spacing on to the arm of the dish. But buying a Dish 500 and and extra 18" dish would be the easiest solution.

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.