AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I've been wanting to buy a DSLR camera for video for quite a while now, but everywhere i go i keep hearing conflicting arguments in regards to which camera is better. I've had my eye on the Canon T2i for a while, but before I buy it I just want to make sure if there is anything better outhere around the same pricerange (less than $1,100) Im unsure what i should buy. I keep hearing that in terms of video quality the T2i is the same as the 7D & 60D (and from what iv'e seen it seems that way) so that makes me feel a little better
. Are there any better DSLR's for video?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Of those Canon offerings I would definitely go for the 60D. The articulating screen is a huge advantage when shooting video (in my experience). It also has audio level controls, which is fairly unique I think, although for serious video work a separate audio recorder is still necessary.

Beyond Canon, the newer Nikon DSLRs are supposed to have good video functionality (AF), but no flip screens. You may also want to consider the Sony A33/A55, as well as the Panasonic GH1/GH2. I think the Canon offerings will give you most "cinematic control", with variety of lenses and manual focusing. The Sony and Panasonic offerings will get you closer to the performance of a dedicated camcorder, with good auto focus capabilies.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If you want something just for photos, the A55 seams like the perfect camera but as far as video is concerned, that's an entirely different story. For one thing, their are many reports of heating issues when shooting videos, theirs much more video controls in the Canon 60D and the GH2, and just 1 HD mode. Basically the A55 lacks 720 60p and 1080 24p. Plus both the 60D and GH2 has audio gain control.

This comes down to what your trying to shoot. For narrative shooting some people may like the Canon because it's easier to have a very shallow DOF than the GH2 because of the bigger chip. For Event shooting, some people may like the GH2 more because the auto-focusing and stabilizer are very good and if you were to shoot in 720 60p you'd have significantly less aliasing and moire than the 60D.

Notable extras for the GH2 include a tele crop mode that extends the zoom range by 2.6x for 1080 60i and 24p mode and by 3.9x in the 720p modes. This is a hugely talked about feature and it's one of the reasons that I want to upgrade my GH1 to it. Their also appears to be clean HDMI output unlike the 60D. You can also hook up almost any old 35mm lens because of the design of the GH2 including Canon FD lenses that don't really fit the new Canon DSLRs ironically. It doesn't have a time limit that you'll find on any Canon DSLR although that if you buy a GH2 from any place other than Europe. Judging by the T2i and 7D, their were also reports of heating issues but mostly when you shoot in 720 60p for prolong periods but unless your trying to do slow motion not too many people will shot something entirely in 720 60p with a Canon DSLR. I shoot a lot of events in 720 60p so for me, any heating issues with definitely be a problem. The last thing I need is the camera to stop shooting in the middle of an important event.

Notable extras for the Canon are that it shoots in both NTSC and PAL modes for any model. I can't think of many other unique features at the top of my head so somebody else may chime in.

I'd say if you don't want to spend a lot, you should either get the T2i or the GH1 and if you do have the extra money to part, you should choose either the 60D or the GH2. I really don't see anything special about the offerings of Nikon and Sony compared to the offerings of the Canon 60D and Panasonic GH2.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
It's still not anywhere near as quick as the GH2, no articulating screen and no 720 60p mode.

Still some of the features may be worthless depending on the type of shooting condition. For example if the camera is being used strictly for narrative, auto focus may not be needed which can make the superior auto focusing of the GH2 a non issue for some people.

Painguy,

What type of shooting will you be doing?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower /forum/post/19540250

Check out the Nikon D7000. It does AF in video mode, and as a still camera, surpasses the D300.

AF on the D7000 is worthless and the Canon 60D is much better for HD video with 1080p30,25,24 720p60,30 , manual control of both video and audio with an articulated LCD.

D7000 toddler focus tracking test:

Canon 60D video:

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Here's a native clip in which the tele crop mode was used.

You get all that extra zoom range without the digital zoom artifacts and just download that clip to see how clean it is. Another thing that's special about that mode is that you'd be able to put a lot of C-Mount lenses on it and not get any vignetting since the video is coming off a smaller portion of the chip. With the GH1, you'd have to really research beforehand to see if you'll be getting sever vignetting with certain lenses. The last special thing about it that in theory, it should reduce aliasing.

When I first heard about the GH1, I was almost certain Panasonic will have such a mode and it pissed me off to find out that it wont have it but I had to buy it anyway since I enjoy both photography and video. At least I'm glad the GH2 has it.

The big problem with the GH2 at the moment is that demand is extremely high and the people who have it on pre-order (such as me) wont get it until around the middle of December. For sure Panasonic better release this before Christmas. I don't think I'll be able to wait much longer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first off thx for all the advice guys. as for the type of shooting...i generally keep the camera in one place, nothing quick or fast paced so the improved autofocus isnt a big deal to me (i usually use manual anyway). so far i seem to be leaning over to the 60D. Even though Video is my main focus i'd like to be able to take some nice pictures aswell. from what i understand the GH2 doesnt take as good of pictures as the 60D. Im thinking that i will only buy the body, i already have a few lenses so i dont rly need to dish out an extra $200 or so. is this a good idea or should i wait a little longer?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba /forum/post/19541644

AF on the D7000 is worthless[/youtubehd]

I have heard that people are having a tough time figuring it out, but was told it was something to do with the AF settings in the menu to calibrate it more for center. I have only had a short play with one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
One thing to consider.. when you buy a system camera, the body itself is a passing thing, but the lenses are where your real money will go.

Over the years, I've had three system cameras: Olympus OM-series, Leica/Canon thread-mount rangefinders (I collected these for awhile), and most currently, Canon EOS. Naturally, I'm interested in something like the 60D or the 7D... it'll work with my lenses, and Canon seems to be paying attention to making their video modes more functional.

On the other hand, I'm into Panasonic these days for camcorders... and see these two things pretty much converging. At least, Sony has already announced an interchangeable lens consumer large-single-chip camcorder, and Panasonic has a more pro model in the works. So I'm kind of on the fence right now. If I stick with Canon, will they move to a DSLR-based camcorder at some point? Are they at a disadvantage with the larger EOS mount?

Anyway, that's something to really think about: you want to build your choice around the lenses, and as much as possible, whether or not your crystal ball has your company of interest building the kind of cameras that will justify a commitment to that lens line.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The picture quality of the older GH1 wasn't bad at all. The issues that people did talk about was the low light capabilities after an ISO of around 500 and the low light capabilities are about similar to a Canon DSLR but once you go higher than 500, that's when you see the Canon start to have a cleaner image. With the GH2, it looks much cleaner than the GH1's. Although the auto focusing in the photo mode was good, it's wasn't as good as the top DSLRs but now every report I've I've read says the GH2 is much faster to the point where auto focusing speeds isn't a negative any longer. Obviously in the video for the GH1, the auto focusing was already a killer feature. I know that's a non issue for you anyway.

One benefit I forgot to mention earlier is the view finder which I find as important as the articulating screen.

Here's a pre-production preview.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/index.shtml

In here you can compare the ISO rating of the GH2 to the 60D.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q420...oup/page15.asp

Pick the cameras and choose the ISO.

It does seam like you mind is already set for the 60D just like my mind is definitely already set for the GH2 since it has features that I really need but at least it seams like your choosing the 60D over the T2i. Yes you'll spend more money but you'll get a lot more freedom in your video shooting.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Of course Nikon and Canon are two giants of the traditional DSLR industry. Neither is as diversified as Sony and Panasonic in consumer electronics, but Canon has long been a player in prosumer and prosumer video, as well as broadcast video optics. Nikon has world-class lenses, but has never been a player in the video world at any level. (Nikon used to make some pretty cool Super-8 film cameras though). Both companies also have sensor design capabilities, but of the two only Canon owns its own sensor fabrication plant.

Curiously, though Canon stumbled into becoming the leader thus far in larger sensor video DSLRs, and Nikon has been introducing video capable models at a fast clip as well, neither company has yet seen fit to release either a dedicated large sensor video camera or a mirrorless DSLR (for lack of a better name).

Whether this is because they are afraid of cannibalizing their own high margin DSLR market, or some other reason, the fact remains that the fastest growing market segment at the moment are mirrorless convergence cameras, and neither of the two industry stalwarts are playing (yet). It will be interesting to see if they allow Panasonic and Sony to continue to eat their lunch in this segment.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vergence.shtml

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'm not sure what your trying to get at but Canon does sell the most video capable DSLRs so I'd assume that what he meant by leader. Unless theirs another point your trying to say but quoting that. Still that really has nothing to do with trying to figure out which camera to get. Maybe because I'm a little tired, I don't quite understand what's that post for.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Sorry.

Anyway, I'm actually one of the people who's posting in that thread. Camera Expert is my nick name by the way.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19545836

Sorry.

Anyway, I'm actually one of the people who's posting in that thread. Camera Expert is my nick name by the way.

That is too funny, my nick name there on joe1946 and we were posting in the same thread here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...t=#post2023741

BTW I also post here with nick name joe1946.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i just want to thank you guys for helping me out. i rly appreciate it. i guess im going to get the 60D. The GH2 was tempting, but im going to have to go against it. once again thx

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
"Sadly, it seems November 2010 is to be the month Canon lose the DSLR video image quality fight to Panasonic.

•The GH2 is stronger at high ISOs

•The GH2 resolves almost twice the detail and resolution in 1080p mode than the Canon, 3x more in crop mode

•The GH2's colour and dynamic range are equal, and the GH1's mud & banding issues are fixed

•The GH2 does not have the serious moire and aliasing issues of the 60D in 1080p, and especially in 720p"
http://www.eoshd.com/content/459

What is frustrating for Canon now, is that the GH2 is going to go pretty much unchallenged on the market for a good few months. Even the 5D Mark II has a sensor which is really crippled by poor image processing relative to the GH2, so you will get a much higher resolved and more detailed image from the GH2 than on the 5D Mark II. And it's not just detail - dynamic range, colour - everything suffers if the image processing is not up to snuff.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/460-Can...-Review-Part-1

1 - 20 of 46 Posts