Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well, I've finally got my Yamaha RXV-1500 and Athenas wired up: AS-B2s/C1 up front, and four AS-R1s (bi-poles, not di-poles; oh, well) on the sides and rear.

I'd like to "test" the difference that the rear channel makes and was wondering if anyone could suggest which of the DTS 6.1 or various EX encoded DVDs most clearly make use of the rear channel? I own several that are EX encoded (Lord of the Rings, Rush Hour 2, Finding Nemo, Gladiator, the Indiana Jones Collection, Monsters Inc, Pirates of the Carribean, and the Star Wars Trilogy). Are any of these particularly strong?

Thanks,

Tiger

·
Registered
218 Posts
SW EP1 and 2,

LOTR, all three,

The Butterfly effect,

T2 UE,

Master and Comander, The Far Side of the World

off the top of my head.

Hope this helps :)

j

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Tiger,

Put your receiver in Pro Logic IIx mode and try the following:

Chapter 8 from 'Gladiator' where Maximus throws the sword and it swishes from back to front.

Chapter 11 from 'Mission to Mars' where the mission commander's voice circles the room and you can hear it go through each of the 4 surround speakers.

Chapter 16 from 'Blade II' where they go hunting for reapers in underground tunnels and you can hear lots of rear-vs-side imaging in the surround field.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
164 Posts
Other EX and ES titles include:

- 007 Die Another Day

- Final Destination 2

- The Haunting

- Jurassic Park 3

- Minority Report

- SAW

- Se7en

- Top Gun Special Collectors Edition

- A.I. Special Edition

- Blade Trinity Unrated Version

- Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition

- Chicken Run

- Austin Powers: Gold member

- Cast Away

- The Mask Platinum Series

- Open Water

Also check out Disney's titles of Enhanced Home Theatre Mix, which include titles such as The Lion King, Ladder 49 and Aladdin. While they are not EX or ES encoded, just use your PLII and NEO6 options on your AVR for an immersive and enveloping surround mix.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
What about 7.1-channel test discs? Are they any to recommend? The only test disc I've got right now is the old Sound Check with Alan Parsons and Stephen Court (Mobile Fidelity SPCD-15) and obviously it's only a 2-channel disc....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.