AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post to, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a brand of component cables for the non-videophile? Basically, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck component cables. Probably going to be using it to connect to a 50" LCD RPTV. I know some people recommend bluejeanscables.com, but they seem kinda pricey (around 50 bucks for component cables). I was hoping more to keep it around 30 bucks or so. Is it possible to get semi-decent cables for that price?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Most here will probably be horrified, but I use a twelve foot high end video dubbing cable. It works great and it was quite inexpensive compared to component cables.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Video cables are pretty much the same thing as component cables.

I picked up a 6' pair of Recoton Component cables at Sears on sale for like $11. They work great.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Globetro
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post to, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a brand of component cables for the non-videophile? Basically, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck component cables. Probably going to be using it to connect to a 50" LCD RPTV. I know some people recommend bluejeanscables.com, but they seem kinda pricey (around 50 bucks for component cables). I was hoping more to keep it around 30 bucks or so. Is it possible to get semi-decent cables for that price?
http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/pro...THXV100CV4.JPG

TRY THESE...

HERE IS A LINK---- THEY COST $29.99 and are THX CERTIFIED!

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO I would steer you away from the monster cables.

Simply put, they are overpriced for the quality they offer. Not saying Monster doesn't make a good product, but that they are overpriced.

You're paying for the "NAME BRAND" more then the quality of the product.

Take a look at rhinocables.net

Their entry level "professional" components are only $36.95 for 1m, $45.95 for 2m. These are FAR SUPERIOR compared with the monster cables displayed above.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big_Willy
IMHO I would steer you away from the monster cables.

Simply put, they are overpriced for the quality they offer. Not saying Monster doesn't make a good product, but that they are overpriced.

You're paying for the "NAME BRAND" more then the quality of the product.
This is just a wrong impression you have....

$29.99 For THX certified Monstercables is a good deal, and great quality.

They are superior for the price to anything else mentioned in this thread.

People have a tendency to discount the big players (like monstercable) without cause or reason.....

Monster make excellent products at all thier given price points.....and are as good if not better than competitors for same price...

One of the reasons Monster came out with this new THX line at such a low costs was to get rid of the idea that all thier cables costs over $100.....

Show me another THX cerfified (or not) cable from a reputable company for this price that is better product????

Your post to stay away from Monstercables... I disagree with. They are good cables.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've always wondered why if Monster is so great, then why do they refuse to publish performance statistics? The measured video characteristics from cables made from Canare or Belden parts is readily available, but for Monster, I'm just supposed to take their (or the salesman's) word for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have friends which work at Best Buy and other big box retailers which sell Monster Cables.

The mark up on those things is close to 100%. NO KIDDING.

A friend of mine got his monster cables at employee discounted rates which was 5% over cost. He paid literally NEXT TO NOTHING for his set of monster cables.

This fact alone proves that monster cables are OVERPRICED.

I'm not bashing their quality - but for the same price you can get BETTER stuff.

Now you all know why all those sales people which know less then most people here about home theatre, keep on pushing monster cables. The profit margin is HUGE. Sales people are usually paid commission and commission is usually calculated by percentage of PROFIT.

"No wonder all those 19 yr old kids that work at Best Buy all say MonsterCables makes THE BEST CABLES"

A word about THX certified - it costs a ton of money to have a product THX certified. Monster is one of the few cable companies which can actually afford it because their profit margins are so high. Many cable manufacturers make superior products and aren't THX certified simply because they don't make enough money to justify the cost. Just because a product is not THX certifed doesn't mean it's not as good or better.

mfusik:

$29.99 for component cables from monster and they don't show you any specs. Pay 5 bucks more and you get Belden's TOP OF THE LINE RG-6 precision coaxial cable (the same stuff most studios use for mastering).

Check this link:
rhinocables.net/Pro%20video%20component.htm

You know for a FACT that you are getting STUDIO GRADE PRODUCT. Also, the monster cable line which you are showing us above uses STRANDED copper while the Belden is SOLID. Which would you prefer?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
I have friends which work at Best Buy and other big box retailers which sell Monster Cables.

A friend of mine got his monster cables at employee discounted rates which was 5% over cost. He paid literally NEXT TO NOTHING for his set of monster cables.

I'm not bashing their quality - but for the same price you can get BETTER stuff.

Now you all know why all those sales people which know less then most people here about home theatre, keep on pushing monster cables. The profit margin is HUGE. Sales people are usually paid commission and commission is usually calculated by percentage of PROFIT.

"No wonder all those 19 yr old kids that work at Best Buy all say MonsterCables makes THE BEST CABLES"

A word about THX certified - it costs a ton of money to have a product THX certified. Monster is one of the few cable companies which can actually afford it because their profit margins are so high. Many cable manufacturers make superior products and aren't THX certified simply because they don't make enough money to justify the cost. Just because a product is not THX certifed doesn't mean it's not as good or better.

mfusik:

$29.99 for component cables from monster and they don't show you any specs. Pay 5 bucks more and you get Belden's TOP OF THE LINE RG-6 precision coaxial cable (the same stuff most studios use for mastering).

Check this link:
rhinocables.net/Pro%20video%20component.htm

You know for a FACT that you are getting STUDIO GRADE PRODUCT. Also, the monster cable line which you are showing us above uses STRANDED copper while the Belden is SOLID. Which would you prefer?
This is all B.S.!!!!

I bought the same Monster Cables that Mfusick recommends and I challenge you to bring over those "studio grade" cables and show me a better picture than the one I have. Who cares how it's made? All that matters is what shows up on my screen.

BTW THX certified just means it has thicker shielding, it's all the same crap inside and Monster THX cables are cheaper than most of their other lines.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have to say that the new GE stuff seems pretty darned decent.

I believe Rhino offers decent stuff as done Monster. But, yes, Monster charges a lot. And the fact is, you are all jealous they make so much. OK, maybe it's just me who is that jealous. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's exactly what you are looking for:

Dayton Audio component video cables. 12' for under $30 and available in other lengths.

Go to www.partsexpress.com and type in "Dayton Component Video Cable" into the search box and hit enter.

The only thing I don't like about these cables is that they come in the same stupid packaging as Monster cables. Hard to open and too much plastic for a set of cables.

-David

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBtampa
Most here will probably be horrified, but I use a twelve foot high end video dubbing cable. It works great and it was quite inexpensive compared to component cables.
I once suggested the same thing in this forum,

and got some nasty remarks. It's amazing how

people swear by their choice of cable without

any scientific evidence...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:

Hey Big Willy. Can't say I can really comment on which product is better as I just don't have the experience. Don't really know if solid or twisted copper is better. However, I have to say that I don't agree with the arguement you are making above. The margin Monster Cable provides for its retailers doesn't necessarily mean that the product is inferior. It may mean that they have found a way to have lower production costs than their competitors, or that they aren't keeping as much margin internally so that they can give their customers a better margin opportunity.

What should count is how well they perform against other products at $30; not how much margin they allow their customers to make.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll have to say AGAIN -

I'm not knocking the QUALITY - I'm knocking their HUGE MARKUPS

They aren't worth the price.

SPENDING THE SAME MONEY ELSEWHERE WILL YIELD BETTER RESULTS.

Monster makes GOOD STUFF - but they are too expensive for the quality level they offer.

arkid - Have you even seen how a good set of Belden/Canare component cables look?

I'm sure others here will concur who also have Belden/canare components that they are in FACT SUPERIOR to those flimsy monster cables.

I think your challenge is pointless because there is no challenge.

I'm sorry arkid but the sales people at Best Buy lied to you. Monster doesn't make "THE BEST" stuff.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Show me another THX cerfified (or not) cable from a reputable company for this price that is better product????
The real question is can I show you something that is as good for significantly less money. Forgive the crappy link, but I defy anyone to have show evidence that $30 monster cables are any better than $18 RCA cables.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3964%3A4537

Monster's business model is to give the impression that their products provide more benefit than they do, and to have high marketups which encourages retailers to push them.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.