AVS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28,467 Posts
okay, looks like it cost a bit more but if it does what you need then get it....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
28,467 Posts
I've read about ghost wire. That should work too. Make sure you get enough length for each speaker.

Reactions: Medal

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Don't be quick to dismiss the Rocketfish...I've used it twice before (tho I currently run wire...different house, different situation...) and it worked perfectly with no dropouts, and Audyssey and YPAO recognized the speakers just fine.
huh, no kidding! So you think it's just as good as the Amphony kit? It's a good amount cheaper for sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
huh, no kidding! So you think it's just as good as the Amphony kit? It's a good amount cheaper for sure.
I don't have any experience with Amphony, so can't offer any input there. Rocketfish is a Best Buy product, so I'd suggest trying it out for the sake of saving money, and return it if you don't like it. Just save the packaging!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
is this the receiver your were looking to upgrade too?
Link

if so please post back with your thoughts on the receiver.
Sorry I'm just responding to this now, I didn't see the notification. Yes, I actually never unboxed the 2600h, just sent it back and should have the 4500 on Wednesday this coming week, April 22nd. I probably won't get all of the equipment in my sig set up until that following weekend, but I certainly will post my thoughts and an update.

I also ordered the Sonarworks XREF20 for room calibration and the ART USB Dual Pre 2-channel Audio Interface / Preamplifier to connect it to my macbook pro.

My plan is to get use the mic and see what I can get, then either add the minidsp 2x4 HD for the subs, or something larger for all the speakers...I had to go with the above mic because the UMIK and minidsp don't seem to be in stock anywhere. I"m going on limb with the above mic, but I did find a comment from Sonarworks explaining how to use their mic and calibration file with REW, should I decide to use it instead of or in parallel to their own software, Reference 4.

I've never had a system like this and never did room calibration, but between this forum and YT etc., the info is out there and I hope to give back as much as I've received in the way of assistance.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Those are just surround speakers with up firing modules.

If it were me, I’d add a cheap pair of surrounds for the time being to complete the proper 5.x.4 Atmos configuration, and if later on you feel like you want/need something that matches your LCR, then go ahead and buy new ones. While it nice to have all matching speakers, it isn’t absolutely necessary. Plus, the surrounds aren’t playing nearly as much content as the center channel or L/R, so you can get away with having a different set of speakers back there. Especially if it’s just temporary.

That said, you could even get away with utilizing some old satellites from a HTIB system or something. That’s what I did, and it worked well enough to hold me over. Just something to think about.
Hey all, just thought I'd update since last posting the above. So the only reason I went with the above mic and room correction software, was because the UMIK-1 seemed to be out of stock everywhere. However, as soon as I took delivery, I got notified by minisdp that I could order and get the mic in week. So back to the store the XREF20 and ART 2-channel I would have needed to connect that mic to my macbook.

EDIT: I also wanted to avoid having to use the back, in-ceiling speakers, as my surrounds...so I picked up a couple Polk S10s. I would have gone with the 15's or even the 20's, but space is limited and these seemed to have a great reviews. If for any reason they don't fit the bill...I'll be returning them for either 15 or 20's. Anything I'll update on when the time comes.

I took delivery of the UMIK-1 a day ago, and while all this was going on, I continued educating myself as @d-rail34 so kindly reminded me I should before going nuts on the forum, thank you, and realized that everyone seemingly everywhere, recommends the minidsp 2x4 HD. So, I ordered that as well and took delivery of that at the same time as the UMIK-1.

As it stands, it will be another couple days before I set everything up following the construction at my house, but I replaced the mic and will use REW with the minidsp 2x4 HD as soon as possible. I also got a quick turnaround on exchanging the denon 2600h with the 4500h, another recommendation that I appreciated. I"m beyond excited, and will post an update with before and after REW findings, as well as anything else that happened during set up. I'm hoping to pay it back a little, so once I have everything set up, I'll share everything I can and will list out what I sources I used etc.

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think this is the first time that I was quoted AND mentioned in the same post. I feel honored. :D

All kidding aside, once you get the hang of REW/MiniDSP you're going to be able see some excellent improvements to your rig.

I'll have to go back and see if any tutorial vids were posted on here, but if not, I'll edit this post with some links that'll help you out.

Darrell

[EDIT]

Here is a link to the Home Theater Gurus YouTube channel that has some great information to help you figure some of this out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwxr5jJUgORcMS9FmIaH1jQ/videos

Here you will find links to the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences, "Official" Audyssey thread Part II, and The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

I know that this is a lot of reading material, but there is some very valuable info contained in these threads that will help you out tremendously.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think this is the first time that I was quoted AND mentioned in the same post. I feel honored. :D

All kidding aside, once you get the hang of REW/MiniDSP you're going to be able see some excellent improvements to your rig.

I'll have to go back and see if any tutorial vids were posted on here, but if not, I'll edit this post with some links that'll help you out.

Darrell

[EDIT]

Here is a link to the Home Theater Gurus YouTube channel that has some great information to help you figure some of this out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwxr5jJUgORcMS9FmIaH1jQ/videos

Here you will find links to the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences, "Official" Audyssey thread Part II, and The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

I know that this is a lot of reading material, but there is some very valuable info contained in these threads that will help you out tremendously.
LOL well I appreciate your help and the help from everyone else. I finally got everything set up. I have not run room correction yet via audyssey and I don't have minidsp 2x4 HD installed yet...as I'm trying to figure out if I should have each sub connected to the 4500h directly (like it currently is) and run audyssey, or if I should run one line out from the 4500h, to the minidsp HD, and two lines out to each sub? The reason I'm trying to figure out which is because I"m not 100% on whether I should have the 4500h look at the subs as one sub or two from the get go....it's also not 100% clear if I should use the minidsp before or after audyssey?

I'm still learning, and I've never done anything like this before...at least everything is working. The rear surround satellites are a mess, as I just wanted to make sure everything worked, as those are wirelessly connect to my receiver via the Amphony 1800 Wireless Speaker Kit...which they are beautifully. Anyways...here are the first set of pics I promised.

Thanks again all..... and any additional help, input, and/or recommendations are highly appreciated.

-Medal

EDIT: I should add that I did not have room for the PC-2000 pros....so I swapped them with SVS for the SB-3000's. I counldn't be happier; would have preferred ported but these sound amazing and I don't have them even configured for anything special...basically out of the box as of this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
@Medal,

For dual sub setup, your signal chain should be set up such: AVR Sub Out 1>MiniDSP Input 1>MiniDSP Output 1 & 3>Subs.

Here is the link to the instructions on Page 1 of the BEQ thread to help better guide you in the right direction. I've had a few adult beverages (Blame the stay at home order! :D) and I don't want to tell you something that might be incorrect, so this will be the best course of action in this particular instance. It has all of the information that you should need to get you set up properly. ;)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html#post56610168

As for getting the subs dialed in, you should do that prior to running room calibration. Use this video tutorial from HT Gurus to help in this regard.

If think of something else I'll post it for ya. Cheers brutha! :)

Darrell

Reactions: Medal
41 - 52 of 52 Posts