AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a projector for my basement. It is a long room so I pretty flexible with the mounting distance. The lighting is also controlled, so that’s not an issue either. I will most likely be watching sports (non-HD) and DVDs. I’m really just looking for the most bang for my buck. I’m thinking my price range is around ~800.00. So what type of performance should I expect from a model in this price range and what make/models would you suggest?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Do a search....check page 516 of the huge 4805 thread for some screenshots...get the Infocus 4805 as I normally recommend. You can expect terrific image quality and performance for very cheap.

Regards

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can find a refurbished Infocus 4805 at an online auction with a 90 day warranty for about $800.00, it's excellent for DVD viewing, on non digital TV channels won't be so great, but most sports are on digital or HDTV quality.

If you have full screen DVD's and will be watching non HDTV the Infocus LP755 is a great projector, and can be found for about $600.00 or less.

I own both of these projectors they are both great, the LP755 just doesn't have the deep blacks that you'll find on the 4805 but the picture quality is pretty outstanding.

Either of these are great budget projectors, 4805 has alot more bells and whistles and the colors are so ver rich as it's a dedicated home theater projector, while the other was split for business presentations first and home teather second.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I highly recommend looking at the Optoma H27. It is a little bit more expensive than your budget by about $200 but I think it would definitely be worth it. Check out Guitarman's reviews of the Optoma budget home theater line of projectors. I think he has reviewed the H31, H27(successor to H31), DV-10 Movietime (with integrated DVD) and has some comparisons to the 4805.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUMP.............I mainly want to be able to watch college football (NON-HDTV) on Saturday mornings and DVDs on the weekends

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The Mitsubishi HC3 is currently on close-out at a great price at a major electonics chain in California & Texas. Perhaps some electronics stores near you are also having them on clearance. A great PJ at a price that's currently VERY much in your price range.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That's why I bought one - a cheap backup PJ for less than the price of a 32" - 37" CRT TV set. The HC3 is seriously input challanged though (it only has a Component, S-Video, and VGA inputs - it does come with a VGA cable and a Component to VGA cable, but it does not have a DVI or HDMI input).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.