AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good equilizer brands besides Rane and AudioControl ?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
G'Day.

I think you have pretty much nailed the two most respected names. If you are only interested in EQ'ing the bass, the Behringer Feedback Destroyer is very well liked by folks that are into these things.

Myself, I am an AudioControl man (Bijou). Big bucks, but its a really nice piece.

BGL

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
788 Posts
I have not used the behringer stuff but the only 2 that have EQ's designed for HT are Rane and Audio Control

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
I have not used the behringer stuff but the only 2 that have EQ's designed for HT are Rane and Audio Control
Yes, the Behringer 8024 is only 2 channel per each. However, as far as I know, neither Rane nor Audio Control has an automatic room equalization (real-time spectrum analyzer) feature.

Also, the "designed-for-HT" label often leads to higher prices -- unfortunately, the structures of the "HT" versus "Pro" markets have so much influence on the price of these gears...

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 8024 automatic feature should be considered with care (as any auto correction). It will try to compensate for room mode which can be quite bad. So some intelligence is needed on top of that. Second the RTA does not tell much (not enough resolution). The best feature is in fact the parametric EQ part of it, which is also in the Feedback Destroyer Pro. Also the 8024 being a pro unit, you may have to fight a bit with level matching to optimise the noise level.

I would in fact recommend the FBD for sub only.

By the way, I owned both the 8024 and the FBD before swithing to a TacT RCS and then a TCS which is probably a true audiophile multichannel room correction system.

Michel

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Also, the "designed-for-HT" label often leads to higher prices -- unfortunately, the structures of the "HT" versus "Pro" markets have so much influence on the price of these gears...
Huh?? Let’s see, Ashly dbx and Symetrix stereo 1/3-octave models sell for between $700-800. BSS’s stereo 1/3-octave goes for $1200 and Klark Teknik’s goes for over $1300.

Golden,

Recommended brands will depend on the intended use. For dedicated sub EQ’s you can get away with a cheap one like the ART 131 or the Behringer 8024 or FBD. If you intend to equalize the mains, however, you want to use a quality equalizer.

Aside from Rane, other respected makers of mid-line pro EQs are Ashly, dbx and Symetrix. However, IMO Audio Control is better than all of these for home audio use. For instance, the late-great Audio Control C-131 mono 1/3-octave EQ had THD figures as good or better than the high-end pro models listed above, and noise floor levels better than any of them - more than 10dB lower.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Huh?? Let's see, Ashly dbx and Symetrix stereo 1/3-octave models sell for between $700-800. BSS?s stereo 1/3-octave goes for $1200 and Klark Teknik?s goes for over $1300.
Yeah, and comparing higher-end to higher-end, the superb "true audiophile" grade TacT costs... how much? I do not think that kind of pricing can survive in the "pro" market. That is what I meant.

·
Registered
646 Posts
FWIW, I also had an XTA DP224 pro unit (equivalent to the BBS mentioned above), cost was something like USD 3000. They call it a Loudspeaker Management system (it includes delay, EQ, crossover etc all in digital). But once again, I warn you, these kind of Pro units are not easy to integrate in a home setup due to the difference of standards (levels), it is quite difficult to achieve good level of S/N! On subwoofers, no problem but on monitors.... This was my final step with pro units before swithing to the TacT.

And by the way, the TacT is not targeted at the pro market they could not compete at this price level in the pro market but also I still have to find a pro unit that can compete with it in the audiophile market! In fact when combine with the TacT digital amp... there are not many competitors at all IMHO. But that's true, it's surely not a cheap solution.

My conclusion is, pro EQ are OK for subwoofers only (where indeed most of the problems are).

Michel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.