AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question but I'm thinking about buying some speakers used and was wondering if anyone had a decent Freight company in mind?

Or are they all pretty much the same? I used to live on an island so never ever had to deal with such companies.

Any tips or tricks? Things to watch out for?

tks!

Ty

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Good freight company? Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?

Actually, most freight companies are about as good as your packaging. Large bookshelf size or smaller speakers will generally survive even UPS (not a freight company) if packaged right. IMHO anything bigger than that should usually be sent freight, preferably on a pallet. But there is no guarantee. Sometimes loads shift in the truck or airplane. I once received a large computer system on which we had to replace all the panels on one rack. Computer system worked, though. OTOH I have shipped large computer systems around the world in custom built plywood boxes with 2" insulation all around on a pallet with no problems at all. Although I did see some idiot put the forks of his forklift through the side of a similar box belonging to IBM once. Can you say insurance?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
Good freight company? Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?

Actually, most freight companies are about as good as your packaging. Large bookshelf size or smaller speakers will generally survive even UPS (not a freight company) if packaged right. IMHO anything bigger than that should usually be sent freight, preferably on a pallet. But there is no guarantee. Sometimes loads shift in the truck or airplane. I once received a large computer system on which we had to replace all the panels on one rack. Computer system worked, though. OTOH I have shipped large computer systems around the world in custom built plywood boxes with 2" insulation all around on a pallet with no problems at all. Although I did see some idiot put the forks of his forklift through the side of a similar box belonging to IBM once. Can you say insurance?

Thanks for your input. It would be a 5.1 speaker set that would weigh around 200lbs total (cuz of the 50+ lb sub) including a nice margin for packaging weight so I guess using a freight company is the way to go. I wonder what that will cost....

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
Can you say insurance?
Amen. And document everything, including the names and phone numbers of each person you speak to along the way.

Bax Global is probably the best for shipping fragile items like speakers. You can use this link for estimating costs, but you'll need the dimensions and weight of your boxes:

http://www.baxworld.com/defaultFRM.a...&pg=/Shipping/

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
AE Worldwide shipped my plasma from RI -> WA, crated it up nicely, and was pristine and in perfect order when they uncrated it...

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it weighs over 80 Lbs. Needs to be Pallatized.

Or handled by a freight/trucking company.

From my experience. I rate the freight comapnies

1. Fed Ex Ground. Best overall and cheap.

2. BAX Global. Better with larger packages.

3. DHL Better with smaller boxes and documents.

4. UPS. They just are the worst. When I think of brown

Its not UPS.

bltserv

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.