AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVSforum.

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my 10 year old cheap 5.1 surround system, and the first step is new receiver

[Current sound setup]

Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver.

2x Eltax milinium 500 front speakers

Jamo 200 Center/surround speakers

15" Eltax active sub.

[Video setup]

Panasonic TH-50PZ80 plasma TV

Playstation 3

The following points are important to me:
  • 4 HDMI In/1 Out is enough.
  • It must have some sort of headphone surround since I like to use my Beyer DT-990 headpones with my PS3 in the later hours (dolby headphone or silent cinema for ex.)
  • Auto calibration feature, since I'm no good a doing calibrations my self
  • 7.1 192Khz, Dolby TrueHD + DTSMaster support.

My price range is somewhere around 1000$ (+/- 200$)

After reading forums and reviews for the past 8-10 hours I came up with the following:
  • Yamaha RX-V1900
  • Marantz 7002

I also considered Harman/Kardon 645, but it only seemed to support HDMI 1.1? And i looked at dennon recivers but it's only the 580x models that have headphone surround.

Comments/Suggestions on receiver choice?

Currently I favor the Yamaha because I really like the design, and the review comments I have been reading seem very positive + it should cover all my needs, now and hopefully for the next 10 years.

I know the receiver range I'm looking at will be overkill for the speakers i currently have.

So my major arguments for upgrading right now is to get True HD, DTS Master, Auto calibration and headphone surround.

The whole reason for investing in a new receivers is because I was considering buying a pair of Pioneer SE-DIR800C Wireless Dolby Digital 5.1 Headphones. But that would set me back about 40-50% of what a new receiver would cost. So i'd rather upgrade my receiver with headphone surround technolegy instead and get a new power house for my home cinema.

Which brings me to my second question.

Since I live in an apartment (with nine neighbours just next door) the usage of large front speakers are rather limited.

My vision has always been to buy a pair of B&W 804S or perhaps CM9s once I bourght a house.

The good thing about B&W is that the price is pretty constant and therefore I have no problem waiting ex 3-5 years because I know the 804S or an equivalent speaker will exist.

But while I browsed for a new receiver I stumpled upon a set of speakers witch seemed like a good deal (atleast in Denmark)

Its the JBL TL260

- http://www.audioimages-hifi.com/page69/page69.html

(Sorry can't link it, first post...remove the first "-")

I found a pair priced @ 2350$ (calculated from DDK)

as comparison 2x B&W CM9 cost 3500$ in DK and 2x B&W 804S cost 5800$

It seems rather cheap, especially since the JBL started out @ 3900$ 2 years ago when they where launched (Limited edition, 3000 produced)

What do you guys think? Is it a good deal for the money? (better than buying ex. the B&Ws in a few years)

Reviews are scarce, but basically what I'v been able to find out is that the people that have bourght them love them. And others say it's a poor imitation of the ti250.(same box, cheaper components)

Comments?

The most important thing for me is to get the most out of my money, because lets face it...with the system I'm currently using there is no doubt that im going to be happy no matter what I buy, hehe.

Thank you for your inputs!

/Johnny

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGoofy /forum/post/16966576

And i looked at dennon recivers but it's only the 580x models that have headphone surround.

This is correct; however, all the Denon models offer a Virtual Surround Mode for headphone use (granted most likely not on par with Dolby Headphone). Drop in to a nearby Best Buy and test out a Denon AVR to see if that mode will meet your headphone requirement.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/16967171

This is correct; however, all the Denon models offer a Virtual Surround Mode for headphone use (granted most likely not on par with Dolby Headphone). Drop in to a nearby Best Buy and test out a Denon AVR to see if that mode will meet your headphone requirement.

And dont forget to try out the Yamaha's as well. they have silent cinema. silent cinema is just like Dolby Headphone and you can use it on Dolby Digital, DTS and Yamaha's Cinema and HiFi DSP Modes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.