AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father keeps saying he wants a DVD recorder-- I want to get him one for his bday but can only spend about 150-- anyone know which is the best i can get for my buck?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The $150 price point has been discussed before. You can easily afford one of the "no-name" Chinese-made models, but they're generally not considered to be good models. Check out the ongoing thread about the CyberHome 1600 to see what you are getting into by buying one of these.

However, $150 puts you slightly out of range of what is basically considered a "quality" but basic recorder. The recently discontinued Pioneer 225 at one time was being sold by Amazon.com for $160, but they recently upped their price to $180 -- still a good buy at that price though. WalMart is selling the Pioneer 231 for about $200, and their website still sells the discontinued (but still excellent) 220 for the same price. The Panasonic ES-10 retails for $200 but I've seen it as low as $170 on Amazon.com.

If you increase your target budget by another $50, you'll find a nice assortment of recorders to choose from that won't make you regret their purchase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.