AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just used my extended warranty to have my new 65" Mits HDTV tuned up. I dont know if I was expecting more after reading about the professional certified techs, but I hoping for alot more. First off, the TV looked fine before I called, but from the sales guy to the delivery guys, they all said I should call and make an appointment since the TV may have been misaligned in transit. All the guy did was use the normal convergence setting to adjust the red and blue and then reduced my velocity modulator by one. First, what does the velocity modulator do, and second, is this about normal for a non certifed service call? Or could it actually be that my TV is just good to go?

Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
You may be expecting more than GG is willing to deliver. They're not a bad dealer (though they did support Divx) but most of the salesdudes/dudettes I ran into there imply that you'll get something akin to a full ISF calibration under warranty. Do a search on ISF and you'll get a quick education.

As my local GG stores have contrast and picture settings maxed out on all of their HD displays, I doubt they do any serious adjustments outside of the crude 12 point convergence stuff.

Curtis

·
Registered
830 Posts
The service that was performed on your TV wasn't even remotely related to the calibrations you have read about.

A complete ISF calibration will set the correct geometry and convergence in the service menu, perform mechanical and electrical focus, and use an color analyser to set gray scale tracking for greatly improved color fidelity.

Scan velocity modulation slows the electron beam when it passes over bright object. It is supposed to improve sharpness and contrast, but really just distorts the picture in an attempt to make it stand out on the showroom floor. It is best turned completely off.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dipper:
I thought it was Circuit City that was the backer of DIVX....
Same here, I remember being bombarded by it every time I went in to Circuit City (which was not often), but I never saw it at a Good Guys store. One salesperson at Circuit City practically called me an idiot when I told him that I would never buy a DivX player as I saw absolutely no advantage to me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will have to figure out how to change my velocity modulater. he did change it to one, from two. I did note that there was a zero option. Since I have can see no problems with the picture, I think Ill wait to call a "real" tech. I asked the Good Guys tech about what kind of life expactancy I can expect from this TV and he guestimated about 8 years tops. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for all of your inputs.

Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
CC was the main backer of Divx along with an LA law firm. The Good Guys was very much a distributor of the doomed product (hardware and SW). They simply didn't shove it down your throat the way CC did. I clearly recall seeing Divx displays at all SF area GG stores.

Check out the history and you'll see for yourself.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Steve....

Which model did you get ?

I'm most likely getting the 65857 delivered on Tuesday...

I was curious about the ISF calibration also....

Are the Mitsu sets easily calibrated ?

And does it do anything to the Mitsubishi warranty ? Will they still honor it if someone else was doing stuff in the set ?

Thanks

Shelly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.