AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Hair.

With/By Chris Rock. About the Black Hair Care industry. (An HBO production, so it may be free On Demand for HBO subscribers.)

Relaxers.

Weaves.

Bronner Bros.

Al Sharpton (pretty good in this, I must say, even though he's not on my list of people I care a whit about).

Well-known Black women.

Atlanta.

Lye.

After watching it, you will never look at or think about Black women's hair in the same way again. (And you'll get lots of chuckles in the process, esp. the scenes/dialogue with the men in the barbershop in the latter third of the movie.)

Movie Trading Company in the Dallas Metro area has it for $19.99 new ($18.99 Amazon); no one else (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target) seems to carry it, at least not per their Web sites.

Thumbs up!

At least give it a Netflix, even if you don't buy it (my daughter's a stylist, so I bought it for her based on the reviews - Rotten Tomatoes 94% T-Meter Critics, 96% Top Critics).

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the dialogue is a bit risqué, but otherwise it's a movie to enjoy and share with others. Enlightening to all, no matter one's race or sex or age (though some of the language and brief sex talk should probably restrict it from pre-teens, IMO). And even though some serious issues are raised (chemical dangers, morality/wisdom of cost of hair, business/company ownership issues, fashion brainwashing, how and where the hair is acquired), the movie doesn't get "preachy." Kind of a "We report, you decide" approach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts