AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a couple of articles in this forum where some people have had success with VGA/KVM switchers -- for switching HD signals. I already have great component video cables and don't want to buy a VGA switch + 15-pin to RCA cables. Do you have recommendations for a good component video switcher? I am trying to identify a stop-gap solution for HD video switching until I see A/V receivers with more than 4 component inputs.

I saw one from Key Digital but it only have two component inputs. Has anyone tried the Audio Authority 90a53 4-in 1-out component video switcher to switch HD signals? You can view it at...

http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/90a53.html

It retails for about $199. Unfortunately, there is no mention of video bandwidth on their web site.

Many thx.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I used the 10 dollar RCA manual switch from Rat Shack. It worked flawlessly but do not get the remote controlled one, because it does lose some PQ. The manual one is fine for even HDTV sources.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The only suitable switch I found at RS was a $25 unit meant for switching audio/video signals. If you use the 2 audio jacks and the 1 composite video you can get it to switch the component video signal. BUT I find a very definate degradation of the signal, not huge but it is noticeable.

For now until I get my system in a final configuration it's easier to live with the slight degradation than having to switch cables every time I want to change the source. What I'd really like is a cheaper version of the $7,000 matrix switcher from Extron. For now though with the DVI/HDMI/Firewire issue still not cast in concrete I'm not in a mood to look for an ultimate solution, we will all want to upgrade eventually.

Don't know whether its the switch, the additional component cable or the lack of 75 Ohm jacks that causes the problem.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I purschased on E-Bay a brand new Extron SW4 AR HV xi auto switcher. I am very pleased with it . This switch has plenty of bandwith and the auto switching works flawlessly.I believe this switch is around $800.00 retail. Keep checking E-Bay and you can get a good deal on it. The switch is four in and one out. The only problem it has BNC connectors. You will have to buy BNC to RCA adopters.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see no loss of video quality using the Rat Shack $25 switcher. I swept it with a 480p signal and a Tektronix oscilloscope.

I didn't see any problems with the signal. Perhaps you have something generating interference near the box? Try shielding the box or moving it to another location.

Andrew

·
Banned
770 Posts
Easy answer here. Key digital 2X1 component switcher (around $250.00 on internet sites) Full bandwidth and auto signal detection. Works great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... I know about the Key Digital product. But, it is only 2-in 1-out component switcher. I need something that has atleast 3 and ideally four component ins. I know you can connect multiple Key Digital switches together but the price would then approach the more expensive Extron component switch.

Thx.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I searched high and low for a 3 or 4 X1 for a low cost and didn't come up with anything. I believe they also make a 4X1 but it's pricey again. I'm hoping someone makes a full bandwidth switches for a sane price soon. It's getting to be an issue.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Can someone explain bandwidth? Why would a RS unit not have enought bandwidth? What is limiting it?

Do quality of cabels? or etc.

If I make some custom VGA breakout is there a chance that its bandwidth is limited?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know you said you didn't want a VGA switch, but considering the other options I went for it. I bought one of the Belkin 4 port KVMs with 400mhz bandwidth and am very happy with it. It was around 50 bucks.

Add a cheap IR keyboard (reciever is the only important thing) and you have remote control.

So for 80 bucks or so you can have good quality, and remote control (assuming you have a programmable remote like a pronto that can do macros).

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.