AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish Network is clearing out the 6000u for High Def for $200. The important thing here is the the 6000 has a 15 pin rgb connection so no transcoder is needed. It also has a module to get OTA high def, seems that some people are getting this included and some are not.

I may try today.

I believe all of the new products will require a transcoder (not sure about this)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try dish network, they told me to contact a local dealer. Local dealer in confused. I am working on it. Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing issue.

I am trying to combine it with another dish deal that gives me a PVR and instal for a 2 year contract.

if you have success let me know.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Call Dish Network. The promo starts today. The price for a model 6000 with the 8psk adapter is $149 delivered and installed. This is for existing customers who go for the annual HD subscription for $109 I just ordered one for upstairs and it will be here in a couple of days. This is a good deal because dealer cost on the 6000 is $449

·
Registered
412 Posts
They said that they do not offer a lease deal for the $149, it really stinks.

THX for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
I have been considering upgrading my DirecTV to HD with the Sony HD300 receiver that comes out in a couple of weeks. DirecTV offers ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, and HDNet Movies.

Is Dish's offering comparable??

Either way I need a new reciever and dish so it doesn't matter too much.

Cary

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Cary,

Dish network is not in the same league, pic quality-wise as direcTV. Also, the 6000 receiver is not very special. Personally, I can't stand it. You have no remote option to turn on/off the high def output - it's a switch on the front panel. There's also no discrete on/off for control system programming. Although it does an admirable job of converting 1080i to 720P if you choose that res, it's a lousy NTSC scaler. Channel changing is dreadfully slow, the menus are lousy, and Dish network receivers make you press multiple buttons to escape a channel you don't have a subscription to if you accidentally land on one. No DirecTV receiver does this nonsense. Also, Dish network seems to use far more compression than does DirecTV (only decent explanation I have for the inferior, side by side image). Change at your own risk.... ;)

As for your DirecTV upgrade, I'd suggest the Samsung - all outputs on all the time, and they seem to have finally sorted out locking up problems. Still no discrete on/off though.... :(

·
Registered
246 Posts
What is special about it, from what I understand, is that HD content can not be flagged and down converted. That is great for those of us that plan to use a CRT projector to veiw HD content.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RebelRam
What is special about it, from what I understand, is that HD content can not be flagged and down converted. That is great for those of us that plan to use a CRT projector to veiw HD content.
If you are referring to the Dish 6000 it does down convert the HD programs and outputs them through the S video and composite video outs. Also someone above stated the 6000 does not allow you to select the HD vs SD output from the remote. It s controlled by the TV Video button on the remote and the button on the front of the receiver to. The different aspect ratios of the down converted programming can be controlled from the remote too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M NEWMAN
Cary,

Dish network is not in the same league, pic quality-wise as direcTV. Also, the 6000 receiver is not very special. Personally, I can't stand it. You have no remote option to turn on/off the high def output - it's a switch on the front panel. There's also no discrete on/off for control system programming. Although it does an admirable job of converting 1080i to 720P if you choose that res, it's a lousy NTSC scaler. Channel changing is dreadfully slow, the menus are lousy, and Dish network receivers make you press multiple buttons to escape a channel you don't have a subscription to if you accidentally land on one. No DirecTV receiver does this nonsense. Also, Dish network seems to use far more compression than does DirecTV (only decent explanation I have for the inferior, side by side image). Change at your own risk.... ;)

As for your DirecTV upgrade, I'd suggest the Samsung - all outputs on all the time, and they seem to have finally sorted out locking up problems. Still no discrete on/off though.... :(

Pardon me, but what are you talking about??????

Starting today, Dish offers all the same HD channels that Directv does.

Directv compresses their HD channels, Dish does not.

The 6000 can change from HD output to standard output from the remote simply by pressing the TV/Video button.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think there is some mis-understanding - and it may be me. What I am referring to is flagged HD content. It is my understanding that the 6000 receiver can not down convert flagged HD material to analog sources. I am fully aware that the 6000 can display SD and HD signals.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Saxon Violins
Directv compresses their HD channels, Dish does not.

Really!!?? That's news to me! Last I checked, NOBODY passed native 1080i except C band and terrestrial. But then, I wasn't referring to the HD channels, but rather the SD stuff - should have made that more clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by Saxon Violins
The 6000 can change from HD output to standard output from the remote simply by pressing the TV/Video button.
Well that's good to hear - must've been a software update within about the past year or so, 'cause the last time I messed with that particular feature was about that long ago. At least that's no longer a problem.

Rebelram,

Are you sure about that? Last I checked into it, I was under the impression that the 6000 could, in fact, force down-conversion to SD. Maybe I had bad info....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mike, I am just going on info that others on the forum have stated.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
OK. Here is some serious info I was able to obtain from a very high level employee of Echostar. He is not a CSR or a Supervisor. Saying exactly who he is will kill any trust he has with me, so I'm not going to give any more details. But the info I got from him is completely legit. And this guy is a higher level E* guy than my other source. We talked for over and hour last night and here is what I can say in public...

1. The Superdish upgrade will include everything you need. Switches, power adaptors, RG6 cable runs (no receiver, of course). But it is required you have a professional install. No exceptions. Address "brokers" ;), who are receiving CBS-HD, are ship out of luck, unless you can find a professional who will play along. Anyone know one such installer in CT?! :D

2. The 61.5 and 148 birds will have ALL HD moved to the 105 bird within 6 months of November 15. That is the current plan. DISH wants to have every HD user upgraded to the Superdish by May 2004. Then, bye-bye 5000 HD Modulator. Note: this move could happen earlier than May.

3. It was confirmed that the 6000 receiver cannot downconvert HD and therefore will always output full 1080i or 720p via component and RGB. Period. That is set in stone. One more reason to hold onto it. The analog RGB is perfect for non-DVI equipped projectors. The 6000 is currently just $199 (w/8PSK but no 8VSB).

4. The 211 receiver is still on, but delayed due to Mitsubishi hemming and hawing. E* is ready to go with it, but Mitsubishi seems to be having issues. Situation developing.

5. The PVR921 is "Very buggy." It will be launched in a limited fashion. Don't expect it to be available at your local Sears until Spring, unless the bugs can be ironed out, of course. The biggest problem is crashing from doing too many things simultaneously. Those of you who went through hell with the 6000 or 721 receivers when they were first launched will understand what I mean.

6. The Firewire is not turned on because of serious software issues. They are only supporting the JVC30K and cannot get that to work "reliably" with it right now. They are working 24/7 to fix this and "it has nothing to do with Hollywood." I am concerned about this, because I could not get any ETA on when the Firewire could be turned on. It could be delayed for a very long time. But I was told flat out this is not a Hollywood issue. Hollywood seems to think tape isn't a factor anyway. (This info contradicts what I have been told by a lower level E* guy)

7. HD capacity for the PVR921 will be over 20 hours, but it is not recommended you go over 20 hours to avoid bug issues. That's about 10 movies.

8. 5C won't be used by anyone in 2004, except maybe PPV, which is not decided. HBO and Showtime don't even have it on the drawing board. Told ya!

9. E*'s cost for the PVR921, which has an MSRP of $999, is just over $1400! They are taking a loss on every single one they sell. Hence the monthly fee. Dealer cost is going to be $950. Yup. You read that right. Dealers will make only $50 on each unit they sell. Ouch.

10. The 811 was originally supposed to have Firewire. It was removed for a variety of reasons, including bugs that couldn't be fixed on time. Don't expect future models to have it.

So there you have it. That is what I know. All interesting news. Keep in mind that thing change, so a lot of the info above can be out of date down the road.

By the way, a useless statistic: There are currently 2,400 active DISH 5000 users.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M NEWMAN
Really!!?? That's news to me! Last I checked, NOBODY passed native 1080i except C band and terrestrial. But then, I wasn't referring to the HD channels, but rather the SD stuff - should have made that more clear.

Of course I was referring to D* technique of re-compressing the HD signal. This has been discussed to death in the HD Programming forum.

By all accounts D* has tinkered enough so that the much discussed artifacts are gone.

Quote:
Well that's good to hear - must've been a software update within about the past year or so, 'cause the last time I messed with that particular feature was about that long ago. At least that's no longer a problem.

There's also no discrete on/off for control system programming.
This was also changed in a previous software upgrade.

Now, there's no question that the 6000 is getting up there (and has, in fact been retired after this special has run it's course). I'll be dumping mine as soon as the 921 comes out.

But there's also no question that $150 is an awesome deal and the 6000 DOES work especially well with CRT projectors. Some new receivers do not have RGB output.

As far as SD channels, there's no argument, they both look like crap!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I think he's referring to the price, Cary, which I can't really argue with - except that it requires you to get Dish Network, which I can argue with...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Rebelram,

That's certainly interesting info, but you also have to question the value of no forced downconversion at this point too. So far, unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't exactly been a rash of forced SD viewing (I've never encountered it), although with the capability there, it's certainly possible.

Saxon,

I will conceed that SD on both looks fairly lousy, but IMHO Dish is far worse, and I watch a lot of SD satellite. Dish N. steps into the unacceptable range for me....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mike, my understanding may be incorrect on this issue but this is the way I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. If and when DVI copy protection technology is implemented, all flagged HD content can and probably will be down converted to SD or will not be passed through at all UNLESS all the components in the chain have copy protection technology.

2. All current analog devices, such as crt projectors, do not and probably will not have copy protection technology, and therefore the HD signal will not be passed through to these devices or the signal will be down converted to SD resolution.

3. The 6000 receiver does not have copy protection and will receive the flagged HD signal and send it through at full resolution to the analog display device.

If I am wrong on this, someone please set me straight.

Bill

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.