Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys -

Heading out to Denver later this week to visit the brother-in-law and are going to help shop for a RPTV, receiver, and speakers for him (I love helping other people spend *their* money, instead of spending my own!)

I'm planning on hitting the big guys just to give him a good feel for price range and models, but anybody have a recommendation for a "must-visit" HT shop that sells good stuff?

Also, for the RPTV - I know this is a can of worms - but, have any great recommendations? Something in the 50" ballpark, 16:9 1080i. I know we'll look at Pioneer, Mits, and Toshiba. He takes posession of his new house in July, and I know he won't want to look at a big hole in the wall for long so he's getting prety close to being ready to buy.

My inclination at this point with what's happening with DVI/HDCP, IEEE1394, etc. is to find a really good deal - perhaps last year's model or something for under $2k (or watch for something in a month or two). That way, he can replace it with something really whiz-bang in a year or two when all this crap with digital interfaces and copy-protection is worked out. He can be enjoying his local broadcasts in HD (with a terr. receiver, of course) and great-looking DVDs, too until then.

Whaddya all think? Thanks!

PS - He's replacing a nasty old 27" tube, so waiting until all the new-tech stuff is worked out isn't an option. He's been itching for awhile, now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Soundtrack, ListenUp, and The Big Picture are good choices. I've bought several things from Soundtrack and like their easy return policy (30 days), open box specials, and can usually get at least 10% off from the sales person. More than that takes a manager.

I bought my Sony 57" widescreen there at about 13% off the marked price. Love that TV - I might recommend you look at that one too. Also got a great deal on some Infinity speakers that were marked as discontinued by the manufacturer. Sometimes they have old models (not floor models) on sale. They were trying to dump the old XBR RPTV a while ago. Not sure if that still holds true.

Soundtrack also has this funky protection plan for VCR's where you pay ~$40 or so and you can return your VCR for a brand new one at any time during the 12 months. Your full purchase price on the original VCR is applied to the new one. The way tech improves and prices drop, I got to trade out my heavily-used kid VCR for a brand new one (with better features) for only $40.

While you are in town, you might also be interested in the Sony Outlet store in Castle Rock (south of Denver). I bought a bad box (perfect unopened unit) DirecTiVo there which ended up being $50 after the rebates. The rebate on the TiVo has expired (I think) but you may still find good bargains there. Not so good for TV's - they only have a couple at discounts that you could get on new stuff from a store.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.