AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good HT System on a tight budget?

407 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  letMeIn 
#1 ·
I am shopping around and researching, trying to find a good (obviously not high-end, but not crap) HT system for about $400. Maybe unrealistic -- if that's the case, just tell me so and my feelings won't be hurt.

Onkyo HTS760 looks like a really nice system for the money, and I can get that for $499 from Crutchfield, but it's obviously $100 above my budget.

I can get a refurbed Onkyo HT650 for $329. I have read some good reviews of that system (Onkyo seems to produce a better product than most others at this price level from what I can tell), but it is not in stores anymore so I can't go listen to it.

So I'm tossing it onto the floor -- you guys have any recommendations? To tell the truth, I am leaning towards just exceeding the budget a bit and getting the HTS760, but I want to exhaust all other options first.

TIA!

#2 ·
how about some PC speakers ? Logitech Z-680 5.1 . THX, Dolby D, DTS . 500W . Multiple inputs . All for $290 .. Read some reviews, you will be surprised how good they are . I know I own them and I ROCK my apt. from time to time :) .

search the web for reviews . You won't be sorry

http://images10.newegg.com/productim...121-105-01.JPG

#3 ·
Hey letMeIn, that's an idea I had not considered. The reviews do look good except for the complaints about hiss from the center channel. The later reviews say that has been fixed, though -- true in your experience?

I'm still reluctant to buy PC speakers as the solution, having trouble breaking out of the conventional box y'know, but a very interesting suggestion and I appreciate that! I am definitely considering it and will have to check these out at Circuit City (although if I were to buy them I'd get them cheaper elsewhere, of course).

#4 ·
I bought mine 2 weeks ago . I don't hear any hiss from the center channel, so I guess Logitech took care of the problem. I was in the same boat as you . I just wanted great sound for little $ ( for now ofcourse lol ). If you go to Circuit City or Best buy they still sell them for $399. Newegg.com has it for $290 + free shipping and no tax, can't beat that.

Before I had Logitech 540z 4.1, and I loved the sound. But they only had PC outputs, so I upgraded them to 680z . Really good speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.