AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys :)

I've got a Polk PSW303 and am seriously looking at replacing it with the Polk DSW PRO 440wi. Anybody got any feedback on this move, do you think it's good use of my money?

My satellite speakers are all video shielded and I want the sub to be too (PSW303 is not). One thing I would appreciate is if the DSW 440 will have less distortion than the PSW303. But I don't need/want wireless and I don't like the idea that the DSW 440 doesn't have a volume knob (it has push-button volume adjustment). I don't need/want a remote for the sub. The PSW303 has enough power for my small room, so I'm not in desperate need of more power. I do like that the DSW 440 is down-firing. I angle my PSW330 away so I don't "hear" the bass separate from the satellites as much. Seems like down-firing would help with this.

Since I have Polk satellites, I prefer to stick with Pollk for Sub too.

What do you think? Should I get the DSW 440 or maybe wait and see if Polk releases a non-wireless, video-shielded sub in the future (which would likely cost less money but give same performance)?

·
Registered
8,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50  /t/1494136/good-idea-to-replace-polk-psw303-with-dsw-pro-440wi#post_23817708

Hey guys

I've got a Polk PSW303 and am seriously looking at replacing it with the Polk DSW PRO 440wi. Anybody got any feedback on this move, do you think it's good use of my money?

My satellite speakers are all video shielded and I want the sub to be too (PSW303 is not). One thing I would appreciate is if the DSW 440 will have less distortion than the PSW303. But I don't need/want wireless and I don't like the idea that the DSW 440 doesn't have a volume knob (it has push-button volume adjustment). I don't need/want a remote for the sub. The PSW303 has enough power for my small room, so I'm not in desperate need of more power. I do like that the DSW 440 is down-firing. I angle my PSW330 away so I don't "hear" the bass separate from the satellites as much. Seems like down-firing would help with this.

Since I have Polk satellites, I prefer to stick with Pollk for Sub too.

What do you think? Should I get the DSW 440 or maybe wait and see if Polk releases a non-wireless, video-shielded sub in the future (which would likely cost less money but give same performance)?

You should not not be able to locate properly integrated subwoofers. It isn't very important to get subwoofers from the same company that made your speakers. Also, shielding is rarely needed. You should only need about 2 feet between your sub(s) and your TV. HSU makes some down firing subs. Look at the VTF-2 MK4. Downfiring, no frills, and a better performer than the Polk.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
SVS SB1000 would be my recommendation. Don't know what price you're getting for the 440 but at list it's about the same price as the SVS SB1000 which would be a MUCH better choice if you don't need a ton of output. Plus it would sound SOOOOO much better.

I currently run 5 NHT super zeros (small 4" woofers) speakers. I had some sub localization issues until I INCREASED the crossover to the sub from 100hz t o120hz which is the actual -3db point of my speakers. The problem I was having was that my sub has very flat output all the way to 200hz and beyond, my speakers were dying off at 120hz leaving a frequency hole that called attention to the sub which was filling in that hole.

Might want to check your crossover and adjust it. Also your sub may not be able to provide the output needed at 120 or 150 hz where your sats probably need to be crossed over.

Reactions: steve nn
1 - 3 of 3 Posts