AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible new idea for a DIY screen - AND/OR can you have TOO much gain?

In an effort to show out-of-town family members (who were visiting for Thanksgiving) my recently purchased (first projector- an) NEC PG6200, I quickly/temporarily slapped up my sheet of Parkland plastics - ripples and all. (Yes, alignment, convergence and especially focus were a real "female dog" under those circumstances, and we had to settle for a "rough-in" as opposed to a no-holds-barred pristine calibration, but nevertheless, all guests were duly impressed.)

Anyway... "Grandma" suggested stretching a white satin sheet (king-sized, flat, of course) over a wooden frame and hanging that as a screen. If I'd had such bed linens, I'd have tried that, but I did not.

But it does seem like a good idea to me; it would be nice and reflective.

But can you have TOO much gain?

Let me rephrase that... When you have a spouse that complains about "turning the living room into a cave every time you want to watch TV", can you have too much gain?

Would higher gain allow me to get a decent picture with higher ambient light levels?

Would I need to back it with blackout cloth to make sure no light passes *through*?

If not, I wonder if a satin sheet would be acoustically transparent enough to place the center channel speaker behind the screen?

Has anyone tried this? Or a similar highly-reflective fabric?

Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Would higher gain allow me to get a decent picture with higher ambient light levels?

Yes, but quality still dives quickly as the light level increases. I've got a 6PG also and on my ~1.5 gain screen you can watch with the indirect lights on somewhat. Black level suffers of course but bright stuff is watchable.

Would I need to back it with blackout cloth to make sure no light passes *through*?

May as well forget the bedsheet and use the blackout as the real base :) 2 coats of gesso and you'll be laughing.

With a sheet you'll probably get muffled sound and good reflectivity OR good sound transmission and lousy reflection. I don't see that working well.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I loved what I read recently - a mirror has great reflectivity, but the hotspotting is horrible! :)

I would *think* that satin's sheen would create bad hotspotting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.