AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are remodelling our house and this time I am planning to put the speakers in the walls for my home theater. Can you recommend some good quality speakers(not terribly overpriced though!) for in-wall or ceiling installation? We tend to watch movies on DVD mostly and I am planning to install a 50" Plasma screen in the center.

Finally how would you layout the speakers in the room?

I was thinking of :

Front :

in-wall about 4-1/2 to 5ft either side of the screen.

Back :

ceiling speakers behind the seating area(no wall on the back)

Thanks,

Ashok

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have not listened to that many inwall/inceiling speakers but...Thiels are very good (best I heard) but very expensive. Paradigm makes some good ones too and they are lower priced. I think you might get better sound if you put the surround speakers on the side walls (if possible) rather than on the ceiling. If you have a dedicated room, have you considered a projector and a larger screen? Many people find it to be more fun, though many other people prefer plasma.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had good experiences with Sonance products as well...give them a look www.sonance.com.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Do not seriously expect an "audiophile" sound quality from any in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, regardless of brands or prices. Yes, they may sound wonderful if you are lucky, but the fundamental problem of in-wall/in-ceiling speakers is that there is no way of knowing how good they sound until you actually install them in the wall. Keep in mind that the wall itself functions as a (rather sloppily sealed) enclosure for the speaker -- your wall may or may not have an optimal acoustic characteristic for the driver unit. The elongated shape of the air space between the studs may invite lots of standing waves. Also, the drywall makes only a less-than-very-rigid front baffle for the driver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sushi has valid points. However, there are some great choices for HT applications for inwalls. I have Sonance in my bedroom, but would give strong consideration to Speakercraft for performance and value.

I would encourage you to purchase the enclosures that are designed for whatever speakers you choose. They will "help" keep the sound in the room it was intended and not resonating throughout your entire house.

jmj

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpeakerCrafts seem to run at about $900/pair! I was looking for something in the $500/pair range. How about Polk, Proficient etc?

Ashok

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most speakers have large margins built in. Even the major retailers will negotiate. "Have not, ask not". In other words, I have never based my budget on retail prices.

I don't have any experience with Polk's, however, Good Guys may have them installed with enclosures to help make your decision. If you have a Tweeter near you, check them out also.

jmj

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Bill, you beat me to the punch...

There are a few companies manufacturing inwall speakers that use fully engineered and braced enclosures...not back boxes. I think the assumption sushi was making is that all inwall speakers are open-back plate speakers, but Snell, Triad, JM Labs, James, (and hardly anyone else) all make enclosed inwalls that compare dollar-for-dollar with their freestanding counterparts. Triad currently has twenty-six enclosed InWall and InCeiling models.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
You haven't heard or seen Triad Speakers, have you? Their design and performance refute all of your assertions.
No, I do not think I have seen or heard them. Do they come with a built-in fully-rigid enclosure? If that is the case, then I have to say that they are a totally different beast from what I "criticized" above. My arguments above are all based on the "typical" open-back designs of many in-wall speakers.

[added in edit] Ah... Reading Paul's post above, obviously I was completely ignorant about those "enclosed" in-wall models. In that case, my suggestion has to be modified as follows: I would NOT use any open-back or semi-enclosed models. Go for the fully-enclosed ones. Then the performance would be basically as predictable as stand-alone speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
One of the reference systems Keith uses in his review; a Triad System 7; was discontinued over ten years ago. I assume Keith just had it "laying around"... :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been doing a fair amount of digging around and coud'nt find out any sources for Triad speakers online. I am leaning towards buying Triad Speakers. Any suggestions? Also, the speakers seem to be sold in pairs....who do I do for the center channel in the 5.1 configuration?

regards,

Ashok

·
Registered
212 Posts
Triads are not sold online or at least I have not found any sources for them. Triads are sold as per speaker. To locate a dealer go to their site to find an area rep and give him a call on Monday to find the closests dealer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yerneni,

you have PM.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am getting ready to install B&W inwalls for my theater.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
while that triad series (in that review) might not exist any more, the review of them is pretty possitive. I think this goes to show that Triad speakers has many years of experience with quality in wall speakers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ashok,

Triads are sold singly as another posted mentioned. They are a custom install product. It's not a product that you'll find in a retail showroom; nor will you find them on the Internet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.