AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some good in-wall speakers for my 42" ED Panny. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand and model to go with? Also if I wanted to hook some speakers up to the plasma itself ( so the wife deosn't have to fire-up the whole system just to watch the news) , what are some decent speakers to go with? I noticed in the owners manual that they'd need to be 6ohm speakers. Those seem a little harder to come by than 4 or 8 ohm speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have done several installs using the Polk in wall mount speakers. They also have moveable tweeters to help direct the sound for unusual installs. They are very reasonably priced for the quality.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have had good results with both 4 and 8 ohm speakers attached to my Panasonic's built-in amplifiers. Without checking, I would hazard a guess that Panasonic's own (grossly overpriced) speakers have 6 ohm impedance and they are trying to scare you into buying them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We are using the Polk Audio in-wall CS65i's for the fronts, 55i's for the rears, and 300i for the center and have been very pleased. They were quite easy to install and, as one of the other posters noted, you can easily point to tweeters to the direction you want.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You should check over in the speaker section of the Audio forum. Do a search and you will find lots of comment on various in-wall speakers. Niles in-walls have gotten a lot of good comments there, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Unless I forgot all my analog electronics classes, 8 ohm speakers should work just fine. They may (depending also on the relative sensitivities) not go as loud though, all other things being equal. 4's would in theory go louder, but only if the amp is well designed. Clipping not only sounds horrible, but fries tweeters like anything: go on - ask me how I know ;-)

Just as a caveat though - everything else I do now is digital and the classes were a few years ago...

For my .02c I'd go out for the Tannoy in wall speakers (which one depends on the amount of power you want to put through them) and get a decent sub. I have the Mercurys on stands all the way round and am pretty happy with them for both AV and music given their price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.