AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is L/C/R NHT M5's and rear 2 x NHT L5's on the wall. I'm looking to move to in-walls to get rid of speaker stands and eliminate the visibility of the speakers as much as possible. I will be keeping the velodyne DD12 for the low-end.

I'm looking for decent ceilings and L/C/R that won't break the bank. I figure I can ebay the M5's and L5's and come away with a little cash towards the next purchase.

Can someone recommend speakers that would perform near or better than the M5's/L5's--or just recommend something either way. I'd like to stay under 1500-2000 for all 5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to stay under 1500-2000 for all 5.

That's a tough budget to work with. Make it closer to $3K and you can have a dynamite 5 channel package that will match your great subwoofer.

There are so many things working against in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. Buy an engineered enclosed back speaker or at the very least purchase enclosures like the Dynabox and you will be rewarded with better sound. This will cause you to most likely spend more than your allowing in your current budget, though.

Biased Suggestions:
  • Triad Speakers
  • Atlantic Technology
  • Polk Audio

Have you auditioned any yet that you like or dislike?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
From Triad Speakers:

You could go with (5) Inwall Gold/4 Omni speakers.

Go a little more and a little bigger for the front speakers, you can get (3) Inwall Bronze/4 LCR's and (2) Inwall Gold/4 Omni speakers.

For even better surrounds, depending on room and layout, you can upgrade the rears for Inwall Bronze/4 Surround speakers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Go with a 2-way 3 driver if you can. You will get better dynamics. The three I've recommended are just that. You can go down to the 2 way 2 driver config to save a bit of money, but there are some dynamics loss in doing so.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 /forum/post/16957329

with the:

Polk Audio - LC 265i
http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio...x.php?s=lci265

I guess I'd have to enclose them in the wall some how, with dynamat and some wood-action?

From the Polk website:
"In-wall Performance Enclosures are available for "perfect" volume enclosure performance in pre-build installations. Use AW0267-B with LC265i."
http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio...x.php?s=lci265

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 /forum/post/16957329

Will these work as centers, or would you look to their "dedicated" center?

Are you thinking about mounting the center horizontally or vertically? Is this to go above or below a display? Or, will it be placed behind an Acoustically Transparent screen. The effectiveness of this speaker as a CC will depend on the vertical/horizontal mounting. If you can place it vertically, either behind an AT screen or above or below a display, it should work fine. (Try to keep all the tweeters, (L,C & R) at the same height).

OTOH, If you want to place it horizontally, expect some "lobing" from it:
http://www.audioholics.com/education...peaker-designs

Craig

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
From the Polk website:

"In-wall Performance Enclosures are available for "perfect" volume enclosure performance in pre-build installations. Use AW0267-B with LC265i."

Well, I'll be damned. I never knew of this enclosure for this model. Did you know about it Craig or did you just stumble onto that?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with Paradigms even if you have to spend a little more money.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the center would definitely have to go horizontal, and maybe above the tv. I had to reinforce my metal studs with plywood in order to secure that badboy up there, so I'd rather not mount it a bit higher, just to try and stuff it between the tv and the stand.

The problem with doing that is, I'm fairly certain I have a stud in the center of the tv, so the center would be off-center anyway. Would i be better off just buying left/right and keeping the NHT M5 in the cabinet?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

You can see the pain ....

This was all done right near the time I moved into our new house--so, I'm not certain I have any terribly recent shots, but this should give you an idea:

See the small space, and the likeliness that the center stud interferes? I'm thinking I may keep the NHT M5 center, and get the polk L/R - or something enclosed so I don't have to mess with it. The polk L/R enclosure is another 250/ea.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
If you're going to range between Polk's and Triad's, you should add Speakercraft and RBH to the list, too.

You've got 8 foot ceilings? I hope you're adding room treatments soon, too. Nice ceiling hugger fan, and really, really, really nice table lamps!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They're actually eight and a half foot, but ya... this is a relatively older pic, we tinted the crap out of the slider, cuz the pool would reflect the setting sun and cause extreme heat in that room. We now just have a curtain in front of it.

I'm debating the two polk L/R lci265's and keeping the M5 in the center until I can figure out what to do about mounting it.

I did find some definitives and triads that have front ceiling mounts that promise no "god voice" affect.

·
Premium Member
14,049 Posts
Instead of in-walls, have you considered on-walls? Mount them around the display. They'll look good and sound good without the compromise of mis-matched L/R's and CC. Check these out:

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=56

They are many other brands which have similar concepts.

Craig

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya, im not a huge fan of 'on-wall' - i have the l5's now, and want more of a ... can't really see them sensation when you walk in the room.

I think I'm just going to replace the L/R and keep the center in the cabinet for now, and try to find something to match the L/R later.

Also need to find in-ceiling for rear at some point that match whatever i get for L/R.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, iphone picture ... low light... didn't do too well haha:

No flash on the phone, but you can tell where i need to place things. getting rid of the front two would help out and let the wife put her pots or trees or bushes or whatever is going there...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.