Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi ,

I want to buy a new dvd player ( interlaced ). It needs to be multi system so I may play both Pal & NTSC. I will be connecting it into a scaler , then on to my Projector.

I tried a few searches to no avail. I remember reading the (secrets of hometheater shootout) , and it said that a good Progressive DVD Player does not necessarily perform well when switched to interlaced?.

Does anyone know of any shootout reports done for interlaced dvd players?.

Or maybe could suggest a few brands with a good record for a good picture image and they also read discs well ?.

Thankyou

Regard

Juz

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
JVC is good and cheap. Panny RP91 is good in interlaced or progressive and excels at XY scaling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Excellent post, I too would like to know which interlaced player leads the pack. I'm currently feeding a 4 year old Sony dvd player thru a Iscan Pro and I'm itching to upgrade. My only requirement is that the player is black, a multi disc player is also a plus. Huey is there a particular JVC model I should look for. Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Juz
:) Hi ,

I want to buy a new dvd player ( interlaced ). It needs to be multi system so I may play both Pal & NTSC. I will be connecting it into a scaler , then on to my Projector.

I tried a few searches to no avail. I remember reading the (secrets of hometheater shootout) , and it said that a good Progressive DVD Player does not necessarily perform well when switched to interlaced?.

Does anyone know of any shootout reports done for interlaced dvd players?.

Or maybe could suggest a few brands with a good record for a good picture image and they also read discs well ?.

Thankyou

Regard

Juz
Well, it depends on your processor. If it has the ability to tame the Chroma Bug(i.e. Faroudja or Iscan Ultra), then the Pioneer units are an excellent choice. There is a reason that so many high-end systems contain a Pioneer Elite unit mated to a Faroudja- the results are nearly unbeatable. However, if your processor will not filter out the bug, Do Not Get a Pioneer!!

The RP91 that Huey suggested is also a great choice as its main problem is its deinterlacer. It is a fantastic player for interlaced and the scaling that he mentions is supposed to be very good on that unit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ,

Thanks for your advice so far . I have just received a Lumagen Vision Video Processor. I do not know if it has a chroma filter, as I am still to read the instruction book. I currently have a Pioneer DV-515.

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Lumagen uses Sil504 chipset (Iscan) and thus does filter out chroma bug. Check out the lengthy Lumagen thread. I believe this exact issue was address specifically by its engineer Pat Harkin or someone similar to that name on the Video Processor forum.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Huey ,

Thats good news ( for a change ) . Thanks again for your advice.

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The Lumagen does not filter chroma bug. We just checked it a few days ago.

Don

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmunsil
The Lumagen does not filter chroma bug. We just checked it a few days ago.

Don
That is correct; this feature is not native to the 504 chipset. The CUE filter is a proprietary algorithm that, I believe, was developed by Dale Adams specifically for the Iscan Ultra.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Scamardo
The scaler on the RP91K only works in progressive mode, FYI.
You are absolutely correct; I had forgotten about that. This would remove the player from my list of options, as it is its greatest feature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.