·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an IR repeater that works

better than the Radio Shack Pyramids (I think

these are actually Powermids).

I find that the pyramids put out a bunch of

extraneous IR that triggers some devices.

I know that there are wired repeaters, but I'm

looking for a wireless solution, just one that

works better than the Pyramids.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, Channel Plus.

Talk to Lee Griifin at Homedirector.com.

He has a channel plus remote I/R kit for only $20.00. This is the best I/R repeater system in the market in my opinion.

The kit inluces the following:

2100A

It is also listed on E-bay as well in the completed items sections.

Normal retail price of this package would be nearly $175.00.

I purchased 8 of these systems and I am thrilled

·
Registered
469 Posts
You won't find much of anything that will work better then what you tried, unless you go to a hardwired system. The reason you are having problems is because you are probably getting interference. You can tell if the window on the front of your powermid has a red lite that stays on most of the time. You can try moving it around or using a plug in IR eye that plugs in to the transmitter. You may also be trying to transmit beyond the capability of these units (too many feet). The powermids work by converting IR signals to RF and then back to IR at the reciever. You will find that a hardwired system will be much more reliable.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
On two occasions I have found that the newer electronic flourescent bulbs put out significant amounts of IR noise. Not all examples or all brands do so, but some electronic ballasts appear to be on just the right frequency to interfere with IR receivers.

This has forced me to use conventional incandescent bulbs in the theater room. Since conventional bulbs are more dimmer-friendly, it's really no sacrifice at all.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.