AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good job, now ya got Krypto messing with hornresp you jackass. I like to refer to myself in the 3rd person with my SN for as much detatchment from my true self as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy
As lilmike has said in the past:


"This is the do it yourself forum, not the do it for me forum".


Plug the numbers into hornresp and play with the sliders. It is easier than you think to figure out if something will work in a tapped or front loaded bass horn....


The tutorials are there, use them.


JSS



So I downloaded the crap, followed data entry tutorial, left the top horn portion alone and filled in driver data, pressed calculate, don't hide resonance, and here's the crap that I got:




not a graph


(and I quote myself in my sig too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well alright, did some playing, heres what I captured with PrntScrn pasted to Paint until further instructed:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you just remember Max, you did this. Youre responcible.


Oh look! Only .2446mm at 51.06Hz with 1 watt!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian
Decent midbass horn on your first try. Not bad!
Ah! A friendly voice, thats the spirit that got me through REW! Thanks for showing up Scott!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, now what do I do to start altering things? Where do i even begin?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
click on the horn type until it read TH. what you have is not a tapped horn. zero out vrc and lrc.


you need a longer horn and larger area. something kind of like this for 15hz with that driver.


 

·
Bass Enabler
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite
you just remember Max, you did this. Youre responcible.


Oh look! Only .2446mm at 51.06Hz with 1 watt!

Looks more like 2.4mm to me but ... umm...oh wait. nvm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite
Ah! A friendly voice, thats the spirit that got me through REW! Thanks for showing up Scott!
Hey, no problem. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite
alright, now what do I do to start altering things? Where do i even begin?

Wish I could lend a hand but this all uncharted territory for me. Again, good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
that error means that your volume of the rear chamber divided by the length of the rear chamber is smaller than the driver area. in other words, the rear chamber is too small to enclose your driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02
that error means that your volume of the rear chamber divided by the length of the rear chamber is smaller than the driver area. in other words, the rear chamber is too small to enclose your driver.
Thanks 02! So are those the numbers in the very top row of hornresp?


(White Paper is once again giving me a headache, see sig )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
i posted a quick mockup in post #7 to help get you going. then you can change the parameters and see how each change affects things.


you can use par instead of con for the horn flare if using a later version of hornresp that has it. i have an old version without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02
click on the horn type until it read TH. what you have is not a tapped horn. zero out vrc and lrc.


you need a longer horn and larger area. something kind of like this for 15hz with that driver.

dude I'm sorry, I missed it! I alread went in and changed Vrc and Lrc both to 20, my bad!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
max, i would be curious to know what exactly hoffman said. i know folks parrot size, sensitivity, depth (pick two) all the time, but did he actually show the equations and do his tradeoffs apply equally well to all subwoofer form factors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy /forum/post/20815708


Welcome to hornresp......


After about 600 hours, you'll realize hoffman was right.....nothing is free...


JSS

Well I guess it was long over due, thanks for the shove!



Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20815752


max, i would be curious to know what exactly hoffman said. i know folks parrot size, sensitivity, depth (pick two) all the time, but did he actually show the equations and do his tradeoffs apply equally well to all subwoofer form factors?

Excellent question! Horns seem so magical and so it always gets repeated: "NO FREE LUNCH! EVEN WITH HORNS!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20815234


click on the horn type until it read TH. what you have is not a tapped horn. zero out vrc and lrc.


you need a longer horn and larger area. something kind of like this for 15hz with that driver.

I am not seeing horn type
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well of course, and Front Loaded etc... but I don't have that?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fooled around, got it
I saw differences in your driver data from mine so I started the data entry process all over and after a few boxes realized you used the 4 ohm, I should have just left it, but here is with 8 ohm.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so Sd is 1426 and S2 is 375 so the ratio is 3:1? I assume this plastic square cone equivalent to a 21" round cone would no longer maintain it's form factor with some watts?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top