AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What line doubler would be good for use with a SVHS vcr, LD player and interlaced DVD player? I would use the line doubler with perhaps a projector, or an HDTV display of some kind. I heard a particular brand and model was an ok one for the price, as in, a good value, I can't remember which one it was.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is Time Base Correction ? . Is it synchro problem between Video and Audio signal ?

Which VCR has Time Base Correction ?

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a JVC 7800 SVHS vcr with TBC. Time Base Corrector is video noise reduction and its sweet. I think , in a very general way, it works like this. The VCR's TBC noise reduction cpu looks at a few sets of frames and removes noise based on time. That is a horrible explanation, but you may or may not get the idea. For instance, certain frames may have areas with noise and by comparing other fields/frames, the TBC can identify and remove the noise.

Why would I NEED TBC. I know its good, it really really cleans up video tape like I've never seen, but why is it essential? Is it because without it, a DVDO would take the VHS signal output a noisy signal?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
I have a JVC 7800 SVHS vcr with TBC. Time Base Corrector is video noise reduction and its sweet. I think , in a very general way, it works like this. The VCR's TBC noise reduction cpu looks at a few sets of frames and removes noise based on time. That is a horrible explanation, but you may or may not get the idea. For instance, certain frames may have areas with noise and by comparing other fields/frames, the TBC can identify and remove the noise.

Why would I NEED TBC. I know its good, it really really cleans up video tape like I've never seen, but why is it essential? Is it because without it, a DVDO would take the VHS signal output a noisy signal?
Not quite correct. A timebase corrector is a circuit that loads the intrinsically jittery output from the VCR into digital memory and then reads it out at a constant rate. They've been around for a long time, and, in fact, were the key to making helical scan video tape recorders broadcast-quality, replacing quadraplex machines that used analog delay lines for time base correction.

What you are talking about is interframe recursive video noise reduction, which is fairly easy to implement if you have a full-frame timebase corrector (known professionally as a "frame synchronizer"), since you already have the last frame in digital memory. But the noise reduction is "icing on the cake," and not an essential part of "time base correction" at all. The higher-end JVC consumer SVHS machines do indeed combine both functions, with effective results.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
cpc,I owned a Dwin LD-2 for a few years and this line doubler has a high speed sync function which worked fine for S-VHS copy's of laser discs and copies from DVD.You might be able to find one on E-Bay for about $400

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so far its DVDO Iscan or Dwin LD-2 ?

Tom. W,

Do you use it with VHS/SVHS? Do you use a Time Base Corrector?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi cpc,Yes I used it with S-VHS and standard VHS tapes, recorded mainly off Laser discs but also other standard sources, with no problem.Did not require a time base corrector but did have to turn the high speed sync on the Dwin LD-2 to on.Also the Dwin has front panel controls along w/remote control and very nice on screen menu.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What display/projector did you use the Dwin LD-2 with? So its worth around $400.00? What is a DVDO worth?

How do these two units compare? Does the DVDO have the "high speed synch?" or anything else like that? What is different between these two units? Right now I own an NTSC TV, but in the future, I want to get an HDTV 16:9 display. Maybe a Plasma, lcd, hdtv rptv or a projector. Not sure which right now, it'll be later that I get something like this.

Reasons why I'm interested in these things:

1) I mainly want to be sure I can use my SVHS and Laserdisc with a progressive display, be it plasma, lcd, crt, rptv or projector. Basically watch NTSC without so much of the scan lines. I'll also use my interlaced DVD player for now, which may or may not be replaced by a progressive player when i get the HDTV display) ;

but,

2) Of course, I want to avoid lousy line-doubling like I've seen some TV's do

thanks for the info people :)

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
cpc,The Dwin went for $3500 new a few years back and the DVDO I believe is around maybe $900.It was used on a 80x60 inch screen with a Barco 808 w/8 inch CRT's.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet. Thanks. So it went for $3500.00 and now its worth $400.00? Thats sounds like a horrible investment.

Works good though? What inputs and outputs do these things have? Component? RGB? Can you use them with RPTV? LCD displays? Plasma? LCD Projectors?

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool noah. thanx :)

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool. What displays are you folks using with your line doublers?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I have also been considering a line-doubler. I saw the iScan demo'd last year at CES, but I have no experience with the Dwin LD-2 that is mentioned here.

Would the Dwin be compatible with a rear projection Toshiba?

It is an HDTV model so it has two sets of component inputs. One ad I saw on the Dwin mentioned a BNC connector. Does the Dwin have component output as well as the BNC? If not how expensive is it to get a cable that converts BNC to component?

All info greatly appreciated!

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.