AVS Forum banner

Good lord these are good!!!

4K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  mjpearce023 
#1 ·
So I'm sitting here listening to music and I decided to put a pair of Martin Logan Aeon's back into my system to listen to some Yo-Yo Ma playing Ennio Morricone.... Well fellas I'm a 6 7" brute and I'm almost brought to tears.

These speakers are so good I can't believe my ears. If you have never spent any serious time listening to strings, vocals, or horns on Martin Logans you are really denying yourself.

Don't hesitate.... Don't walk.... RUN to your first chance to audition these incredible works of art that reproduce music better than anything else under $5000

Just thought I'd share.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil /forum/post/0

Just giving you a hard time, we all love our speakers. Can't wait till I am through my job rotations so I can buy some equipment that I won't need to move every 6 months.

Try some Logans. You won't be disappointed. Sadly these are already sold.... I can't turn down a profit. Sigh. But I have some Ascent i's on the way. ;-P

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19572938

So I'm sitting here listening to music and I decided to put a pair of Martin Logan Aeon's back into my system to listen to some Yo-Yo Ma playing Ennio Morricone.... Well fellas I'm a 6 7" brute and I'm almost brought to tears.

These speakers are so good I can't believe my ears. If you have never spent any serious time listening to strings, vocals, or horns on Martin Logans you are really denying yourself.

Don't hesitate.... Don't walk.... RUN to your first chance to audition these incredible works of art that reproduce music better than anything else under $5000

Just thought I'd share.

The fact that this is what your listening sure doesn't help with the crying. One of the dopest most amazing pieces of music ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISBJ-MJ0HI

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19573040

It is by far one of my most favourite albums of all time.

Any other suggestions along the same lines of music?

A moving piece, but a more somber mood: Adagio for Strings, Samuel Barber. Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Telarc, is a good one.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19572938

Just thought I'd share.

I don't have any MLs (although I've thought of buying some Sources -- they're on deep discount right now), I do have some nice KEF Reference Twos in my main HT.

On your recommendation, I just bought Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone on SACD, and it is beautiful. I'm listening right now through Denon D2000 headphones. Will fire up big speakers later.

#14 ·
Not to put a damper on things but for the longest time electrostatic speakers have lacked dynamics (difference between loudest and softest sound) and when you have a demand for air to be moved with authority of any kind, don't call on those ML's. ML's do poor on drums (with the exception of using the largest electrostatic towers and even then, it's barely up to what you get from standard towers at a quarter of the size). The only ML electrostats I cared for were a pair I heard last year at Frys which were 6ft tall and 1 and a half feet wide and cost a fortune. They had great dipole stereo imaging and if they had bothered to use a better woofer for the low end, they would have had a really great speaker worth half the price they want for it. Because the low end sucks for what they charge, the sound is only comparable to speakers at 1/4th the cost. They have room for improvement. For $8,000 I better get an active/amplified 15" subwoofer with 1,000-watt amp along with the 10" midbass/lower-mids and about 20% more surface area on the electrostatic portion for better dynamics to work in a larger room. THEN I would say it's worth $8,000 for the pair.

#18 ·
Well, the OP, Pure-Evil, should get a commission on the sales. I bought one also.

But question for you. I realized after I bought the CD, that I have a Sony 570 Blu-ray player that can play SACD. When I purchase CD's, how can I tell that they are SACD?

Thanks,

Jeff

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19611250

Well, the OP, Pure-Evil, should get a commission on the sales. I bought one also.

But question for you. I realized after I bought the CD, that I have a Sony 570 Blu-ray player that can play SACD. When I purchase CD's, how can I tell that they are SACD?

Thanks,

Jeff

There will be a logo on the SACD somewhere, that indicates that it is a SACD.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19611250

Thanks,

Jeff

Aren't SACDs a few bucks more than a standard CD?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19574468

Pure evil is 6 foot 7 inches?

How tough could he be if he's crying?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.