AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All - looking for a good repair center for Marantz gear, specifically for my SR7200 receiver. I have a sharp hiss in the front-left channel only, and it seems like a relatively minor problem (hopefully).

I called the Marantz HQ and they referred three shops. None have websites, one uses an AOL email as their business contact address, and Yelp reviews for two of them were pretty sketchy. Needless to say I don't think any of these places will be getting my business...

Anyone know a shop they trust and have had good experiences with? Also if there's one in or near the Bay Area, California that'd be ideal.

Thanks!

--Illah

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illah /forum/post/15467352

I called the Marantz HQ and they referred three shops. None have websites, one uses an AOL email as their business contact address, and Yelp reviews for two of them were pretty sketchy. Needless to say I don't think any of these places will be getting my business...

So is reading the OP
Haha j/k

Seriously though, all their service shops seem to be 3rd party providers who managed to get on the Marantz 'list' somehow, and I have a hard time trusting shops hundreds of miles away with no website and AOL email addys...

--Illah

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
These guys are great!

Normans Electronics

3653 Clairmont Road

Chamblee, GA 30341 USA

(770) 451-5057

All service centers are 3rd party unless you send it back to NJ.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go here:

http://www.servicewidetech.com/

Do NOT take your Marantz component to any "authorized" repair center near San Francisco... I once got sent to a dumpy little shop in an Oakland residential district, and waited two weeks only to be told they couldn't find anything wrong.

If you bought it in SF you might call the retailer first, if only for a suggestion.

Otherwise, Service Wide knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdX /forum/post/15470985

Go here:

Do NOT take your Marantz component to any "authorized" repair center near San Francisco... I once got sent to a dumpy little shop in an Oakland residential district, and waited two weeks only to be told they couldn't find anything wrong.

If you bought it in SF you might call the retailer first, if only for a suggestion.

Ya, I sent mine to Mountain View for warranty service and they scratched the front, top, and sides, forgot to put the "void if opened" stickers back on it, and forgot to repair it the first time around after having it for 6 weeks
!
It really makes me re-think Marantz

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdX /forum/post/15470985

Go here:

Sweet, thanks for the referral! And yeah, the three shops they referred me to had that 'dumpy little shop' feel to it as noted above...I wonder what it takes to qualify for their list? The bar seems pretty low.

Unfortunately my receiver is older, and I bought it second hand, so no local shop or warantee to lean on... I just want to see what the out of pocket repairs might cost me. If it's not astronomical I might go for it, otherwise it'll be sold for parts or whatever.

--Illah

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
How did you miss George Meyer (Authorized Service Center) in L.A.?

George Myer TV & Stereo

12418 Santa Monica Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90025 USA

(310) 820-1113

They even have a website:

http://www.georgemeyer-av.com/

They have a service tech named Joe who really knows his stuff and the owner Morris is a stand-up guy... I strongly recommend these guys... I have dealt with them personally but have not had any of my own equipment repaired there....

PM me if you have more questions....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take a look at a site in northern CA. I can't post the URL, but I stumbled across your question while looking for something else and wanted to offer you the place I used. Since I can't post it, I'll have to spell it out. (Part of the anti spam protection, which I'm glad they have!) Go to i rebuild marantz dot com and see if they can take care of you. Did a great job on my little 2226. I bought it used, and it looked like it had been used as a grage stereo for years. It looks and sounds great now! Just my two cents. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts