AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - just curious on a recommended DVD player at a reasonable price (hopefully 200 or under) that will upconvert signal to 720/1080.

I would like to connect it either DVI (which I assume is HDCP compliant in this Sony Model - anyone know or can confirm? - No SPECs on are even on Sony's website anymore!) or via Component. This is the previous generation 42 inch LCD projection (no cable card slot or digital tuner).

At the end of the day, I want to have upconverted DVD and HD Cable hooked up to my Sony 42 Inch LCD Projection TV (KF-42WE610).

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Your tv upconverts to 788p all by itself. If you use an upconverting player that does not output 788p, you'll be doing double conversion. Not ideal. Probably worse than just letting the tv do the conversion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this simply an option on the TV? As I have not seen this before.

I saw previous e-mails from people discussing that they used the Zenith DVB318 and the Sony KF-50WE610 (using the DVD player to upconvert).

Am I missing something here? Or did the 50 inch Sony model just not have the upconvert option?

Very confused on this one.

thanks

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Your tv is a fixed pixel display. It has to convert everything to 788p to display it. There is no setting, there is no enabling it, it is not an option. It has to happen for the picture to be displayed.

Each time an image is converted, the data is changed. The more times it is converted, the more times it is changed. Some people believe the less it is converted, the better it will look.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, when an HD signal says 1080i on my HD DirectTV receiver, is this really 1080i or 788p? It seems definitely clearer than Fox's 720 HD signal, thats for sure.

Sorry this has become a bit off topic, but sounds like at the end of the day, a dvd player with upconvert (even if it upconverts to 1080i) will not add much to the picture of this TV?

But, lets say the TV was a 32 inch true LCD variety (Winbook, Sharp, Westinghouse, etc.) - Then would the upconvert feature be worth it for a DVD player? And if so, which one? The Zenith DVB318 (seems low price and good quality)?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If DirectTv receiver is set to 1080i, it is sending a 1080i signal to your tv. Your tv then converts it to 788p. If your DirectTv receiver is like my Dish 811, you can set the output to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The picture looks best at 1080i for 1080i channels, and at 720p for 720p channels.

If your DirectTv box is set to 1080i, then when you watch Fox/ABC/ESPN HD, your DirectTv receiver converts the 720p signal from those networks to 1080i (which is what you have told it to do), then the tv converts it to 788p. So see, you have already noticed, without knowing it, that double converstions tend to muck up the picture.

Some people are absolutely convinced that their $200 DVD players do a better job of upconverting than their $3500 Tvs. Some people do not have Tvs that automatically upconvert ... but you do. You could always *try* such a player and see if it does a better job than your current one ... it is possible that it could look better not so much bec. of upconversion but rather because there is an improved deinterlacer in the new DVD player as opposed to the older one.

A 32" direct view LCD would be much like your Grand Wega ... except it is a 768p fixed pixel display. It could have a better or worse scaler than the DVD player. Your Sony has a pretty good scaler, which is why is usually does a better job than the cheap scalers in satellite receivers, cheap DVD players, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah - all clear now - that makes sense now to me.

Thanks for the help.

Now i just have to figure out which damn 32 inch LCD to get (that hopefully has a good internal scaler).

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.