AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some recommendations from the more experienced on good quality Front and center speakers for a new room set up. The room is small (viewing/listening area = 15 x 20)

I'm going to start with the 3 in front and then marry a sub to them. Build in surrounds perhaps someday. They will be for movie viewing exclusively. I can't stomache buying an HTIB as I know I'll be annoyed that I didn't do the research and create one.

So far got the Plasma, got the DVD and now need the equally/most important SOUND!

I'd be up for spending ~$500 - $800 on this start up set. Speakers only. What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw1234 /forum/post/0

I'd like to get some recommendations from the more experienced on good quality Front and center speakers for a new room set up. The room is small (viewing/listening area = 15 x 20)

I'm going to start with the 3 in front and then marry a sub to them. Build in surrounds perhaps someday. They will be for movie viewing exclusively. I can't stomache buying an HTIB as I know I'll be annoyed that I didn't do the research and create one.

So far got the Plasma, got the DVD and now need the equally/most important SOUND!

I'd be up for spending ~$500 - $800 on this start up set. Speakers only. What do you all think?

You can get the whole set-up now with a system like this. Just a little higher then your budget.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

www.********** x-series

www.hsuresearch.com

www.ascendacoustics.com The 340's are very nice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the specs of the x-ls's.......price looks right for the pair and a center (for me). I like the look of the stands too.

I guess I would have to get them and listen. I'll dig around some more for info but in the meantime would anyone like to chime in on this particular set-up?

What sub would you guys suggest with these guys? x-sub OK?

How about a receiver suggestion

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw1234 /forum/post/0

I like the specs of the x-ls's.......price looks right for the pair and a center (for me). I like the look of the stands too.

I guess I would have to get them and listen. I'll dig around some more for info but in the meantime would anyone like to chime in on this particular set-up?

What sub would you guys suggest with these guys? x-sub OK?

How about a receiver suggestion

I have no experience with the AV123 X-sub. But it seems to get good reviews.

Check out these two companies for subs. Highly recommended. I have 2 svs subs myself.

www.svsound.com

www.hsuresearch.com

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/0

Yeah Im curious as to how the SVS system sounds, I bought a Plus/2 Sub from them, and its awesome... just curious how the full system sounds.. they get good reviews.

Here is the Thread for that owners group. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=625876

In my Opinion

the system sounds really good with movies. Of course everything is in relation to room size. I think this is an ideal system in a small to medium room.

Music this system does a really good job. It wouldn't be my first choice if it was for music only.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If these ACI Proteges are still available on audiogon, you won't find a better matched set near this price range that are as dynamic and sound as good for both music and movies. They are used, but include ACI's transferrable warranty. Some of the best deals in audio are in used gear. Can't miss with these speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm now leaning towards getting the x-ls's, stands and a PB10. Today I'll go shop around at the Brick & Mortar.

So I'm at ~$800 for LRC and sub before stands or I could get the x series sub for half of the PB10 but....For this much cash, any other suggestions?

This has been fun as I haven't had good sound in my house for way way too long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.