AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own this.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/netgear_readynas_duo_v2.jpeg

Despite his clever name..."ready" NAS is far from ready. Sometimes, too often, when i copy some music to that NAS storage with intent to play it on my HT system...so using either reciever, media player or TV, those devices simply fail to detect new files for a considerable time. In NAS Configuration there is ReadyDLNA option which synchronises new files added to disk and updates database, so that fixes the problem but that process usually takes some time.

So I am looking for some new device that is a bit more responsive with updates. Budget is not an issue.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
That's one of the downsides of DLNA/UPnP. When adding new items, it depends on how often the library is refreshed on when you can view/listen to new material. I've gone away from DLNA, and now just use Samba file sharing with a Kodi client. There is still a required library refresh in Kodi for new media, but it's much quicker than when I was relying on my Synology box to refresh for DLNA.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the ReadyNAS Duo and it works flawlessly for music. (It's a little small and slow for video, so I have a QNAP for that.)
What are you using as a DLNA server?
If you're running ReadyDLNA make sure you have "Automatically update database" checked; with that option you don't have to go in and rescan, it picks up changes by itself.
If you are using Twonky, make sure Basic Setup>Sharing>Rescan in minutes is set to -1; that does the same thing for Twonky,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just using DLNA and ReadyDLNA found in admin panel of ReadyNAS Duo. Auto update is checked. It works fine like 70% of the time. Detects most of the stuff instantly, but sometimes I add new folder and it simply fails to find it until manual update. Plus often if it finds stuff instantly it will have really slow response for a while because of what I assume is autoupdate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's one of the downsides of DLNA/UPnP. When adding new items, it depends on how often the library is refreshed on when you can view/listen to new material. I've gone away from DLNA, and now just use Samba file sharing with a Kodi client. There is still a required library refresh in Kodi for new media, but it's much quicker than when I was relying on my Synology box to refresh for DLNA.
Now that you mentioned it I checked, any my Popcorn Hour uses Samba server, but I only use that one for movies. I guess that is the way to go :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use a QNAP TS-853 Pro. It is a monster with a ton of power and flexibility, but I do not recommend it if you are not extremely computer savvy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used to have a ReadyNAS Pro 4. Hardware-wise Netgear makes some of the best in the business. Software-wise, (OS and usability) Synology is the way to go.

I currently have a Synology DS415 and a homebuilt Xpenology DS3615

1 - 7 of 7 Posts