AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lion's Gate version is coming out on 8/3.

Ours has lossy sound, BD25 and an HD DVD encode. Hopefully this will be BD50 with higher bitrate. It already beats ours with the DTS-MA.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ood-luck3.html

Are Lions Gate releases usually region free?

· Registered
993 Posts
I don't have an update on the UK version, however, the Warner BD does not have an "HD DVD encode" (it has an MPEG2 encode, while the HD DVD uses VC1). Besides, this movie is very easy to compress and the HD DVD looks just about flawless, so I doubt a higher bitrate would do anything for it. Regarding the audio, the movie is mostly dialog driven, so I wouldn't expect too much from the Master Audio.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
it's not just the audio, but hopefully an improvement in PQ due to a different encoding rather than MPEG-2 at not much better bitrates than broadcast HD.

· Registered
30,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/16957915

it's not just the audio, but hopefully an improvement in PQ due to a different encoding rather than MPEG-2 at not much better bitrates than broadcast HD.

Despite MPEG-2 and the bit rates, there's very little need for improvement on the video of this title. The movie has no color information and was shot on fine-grained film stock. It's not that difficult to compress. A new encode would very likely only serve to make you feel better, without any actual appreciable difference in quality.

· Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/16959922

Despite MPEG-2 and the bit rates, there's very little need for improvement on the video of this title. The movie has no color information and was shot on fine-grained film stock. It's not that difficult to compress. A new encode would very likely only serve to make you feel better, without any actual appreciable difference in quality.

I'm going to have to agree with Josh here. As down as I often am on Warner, the BD release of Good Night and Good Luck has a fine video presentation.

· Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 /forum/post/16962053

from what I've heard there is also an Italian blu-ray with 33mbit VC-1, which looks very similar to the UK AVC disc

But is it region free?

· Registered
3 Posts
both UK and italian releases are region locked. not that it matters in the case of the italian release since it's a horrible, horrible encode despite the massive bitrate. don't know whether it was processed prior to encoding or just encoded using woeful settings, but whoever did it should be fired.

· Registered
3 Posts

Quote:

ah yes, fine film grain.. even though the movie is black&white, both US releases just can't retain said grain at such low bitrates. you can see for yourself in the next post (sorry about post flood but i need 3 posts to add urls)

· Registered
21,221 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/16962211

I'm going to have to agree with Josh here. As down as I often am on Warner, the BD release of Good Night and Good Luck has a fine video presentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/16964677

Thanks for the images. I see very little difference between the US and UK versions. Grain is present on both. The UK seems to have a tiny little bit of edge enhancement that isn't there on the US (e.g. look at David Strathairn's head in this screenshot ).

Yeah, me four. The Warner BD of Good Night and Good Luck looked and sounded wonderful. Given the nature of both the audio and video for the film, encoding the video at a higher bitrate and the audio with an HD Codec would have produced an insignificant improvement, if that. The comparison screencaps in Post #13 seem to prove the point with respect to the video.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.