AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hit a brick wall. I don’t know who else to turn to. I recently upgraded my home theater only to be plagued by intermittent signal loss during playback of blu-ray movies. The picture simply goes dark and I get a “no signal” message on the television for about 10 seconds and then the picture returns. It usually happens once or twice during blu-ray movie playback. The audio is unaffected. I currently have a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player connected to a Sony STR-DA 1800 ES Receiver. The receiver is connected to an LG LM7200 LED Television. All are connected via High Speed HDMI cables. The following is a list of my failed attempts to fix this problem:

• Replaced all HDMI cables (Rocketfish)

• Replaced HDMI cables again with a different brand (Rosewill)

• Made sure HDMI cables met the latest specifications

• Had geek squad replace the HDMI board on the television

• Replaced the receiver

• Replaced the blu ray player

• Replaced the blu ray player with a different brand (LG)

• Made sure all firmware was updated

• Tried HDMI Control on and off on Blu ray player and the receiver

• Disabled Deep Colour

• Set resolution on blu ray player to auto

• Manually set resolution on blu ray player to 1080p

• Tried Simplink on and off (LG’s version of Bravia sync)

• Tried ARC on and off

• Tried both HDMI port 1 and 2 on television (port 1 is ARC)

• Tried multiple ports on receiver

• Tried factory resets on all equipment

• Tried hard reset by unplugging all equipment

• Tried turning on equipment in different sequences-

 tv, receiver, blu ray

 receiver, blu ray, tv

 blu ray, receiver, tv

I also use a ps3, xbox 360 and Wii U (all connected via HDMI) with this receiver. I have ZERO problems with these units. I also notice that it doesn't seem to happen during DVD playback. It appears to be related to Blu Ray movies only. I am at a complete loss at this point. I’m hoping an expert out there can point me in the right direction. One other thing, (not that this will probably matter) I don’t have a cable box. I only have basic cable that is a coax cable from the wall that I screwed into the back of the television. No problems when connecting the Blu ray player directly to television which leads me to think the communication issue seems to lie between the television and the receiver. Please help me, I just can’t believe that the television and receiver are incompatible but unfortunately, that seems to be the case. I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts
In the majority of cases, setting the "Deep Color Output" to OFF will resolve this issue, although also note that some components can indeed be incompatible. If you don't want to replace the BDP, the work around would be HDMI video straight to the TV with optical to the AVR noting that you'll likely not notice any difference in audio quality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.