AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is a good place to buy clamps and glue. I went to my local Home Depot and the glue I seen was Wood Elmo wood glue, is this good. I plan on starting my first DIY, mini statements, in a couple weeks .

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Harbor Freight for clamps. Super cheap and they do the job. A lot of guys here like to use PL PRO construction adhesive for their projects.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Use PL Premium for the glue.

For clamps, I go to a place called Harbor Freight Tools and I bought 36" and 24" clamps for only $5 each. Same clamps as Menard's for $12 each.

Edit: Damn, I type slow....... LOL

·
Registered
471 Posts
If your on a budget for clamps you can use packing tape. Think it through. I have been a cabinet maker for a long time. I have 300 clamps, not kidding. There are times when that is not enough. Especially when I am gluing up edge banding or odd shapes I need to be able to hold something together. I use packing tape. It has the ability to be pulled creating a natural tension. Then wrap it around the object to apply the pressure on and stick it to the other side. It works well when you think it through. Most clamping jobs do not require an enormous pressure just good contact on well fitting joints. The joints need to stay in place for about half an hour for most PVA glues.

Mark

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,172 Posts
The pistol grip clamps at Harbor Freight have mixed reviews. The ones I have have been problem free. If you watch the prices of clamps they rotate the promotional sales prices on clamps on a regular basis. If you wait long enough the size you want will come up for sale. This week the pistol grips and the 36 inch aluminum bar clamp are on sale.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19635133

The pistol grip clamps at Harbor Freight have mixed reviews...

I've made THAT mistake once (ordering clamps from Harbor Freight)and won't make the same mistake again. Spend a few more $$ and get some quality-made clamps from Lowes/HD/local hardware store. The cheap plastic stuff from HF is no bargain.

So much easier (and satisfying) to build with decent quality tools then cutting corners on the cheap stuff.

Cheapies....

versus...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great pictures of the clamps I like least.

They hold next to nothing in the way of pressure. Their only claim to fame is that they can be clamped with one hand.

Otherwise I hates them! Have four of the Quick Grips. Bought them in 1994

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/19634859

I was wondering what is a good place to buy clamps and glue. I went to my local Home Depot and the glue I seen was Wood Elmo wood glue, is this good. I plan on starting my first DIY, mini statements, in a couple weeks .

I am also considering my first speaker build, and have recently been picking my remodeler friend's brain. (This year is the year of the DIY for me, sub kit, screen frame, false wall, speaker repair . . .)

He was mentioning some pipe clamp kits when asking about value selections, and then getting as many lengths of pipe as I wanted. He said that it would be as if I had "many more clamps for less money". IOW, the same clamp kit could be used with a short pipe, then a long pipe if ever needed, for instance, instead of having to buy two prebuilt clamps with their own permanent size.

Anyone else do that kind of thing? I do hear about Harbor Freight a lot, otherwise, and my friend actually uses some rather nice clamps, forgot what they are.

For my recent speaker repair, I used Titebond glue as the people I asked seemed to like it a lot.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/19636133

Where did u get tilebond glue form ?

I got Titebond from a local high end lumber store when I was recently in there. I am not sure if HD or Lowes carries it however, but it is generally a pretty popular product.

I am guessing that you and I are pretty much at the same point, so I will share the little recs I have received so far, in terms of tools.
Stop me if you already have the tools, because I don't have jack for tools. Oh, only the most basic stuff. While I have a cheap drill, my friend really likes the brand new Dewalt impact/driver combo, as they are particularly small he says.

I have yet to browse, but my friend recommended this place for online purchases:
http://www.westerntool.com/

I do not have too much storage space, so I am trying to lean away from any kind of table saw, but perhaps a router table, I dunno.

I am leaning towards certain items like a worm drive skill saw (dunno which), Bosch jigsaw, Milwaukee router (though others may prefer PC, my friend always goes to the Mil first), some stronger steel saw horses with thick MDF as a table.

I am also leaning towards buying a Jawhorse, plus the clamp accessory for only $159. Add a drill press for $55.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jawhorse-and-Ply...item3362800c8a

I do fear the total outlay right now, and it will likely take some time indeed to figure it all out and pull the trigger, if I do continue on this path. There are also other AV toys that are competing for my money as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/19636224

I do not have too much storage space, so I am trying to lean away from any kind of table saw, but perhaps a router table, I dunno.

I don't have too much storage space either. I ended up buying a folding MasterForce table saw. I actually hang it on the wall.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
For clamps keep an eye out on ebay or craigslist.

When I first go into this hobby the clamps from HF were ok but looking through ebay I scored on a lot of brand new mostly 25 Jet clamps with the sumo grip handles for about $4 each. I actually asked my friends if they needed any which luckily they didn't, to my surprise I have used all of them on some projects.

I also picked up some Irwin parallel clamps later on and now I wish I had more, great clamps.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Are you going to use the clamps again? If so you may want to bite the bullet and not get the cheapest ones you can find. I am also a professional cabinet maker and I prefer these.
http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-K3-524-...251532&sr=1-13

They are expensive but they are awesome, they help keep things square and you can apply a great deal of pressure.

Second to that I would go with pipe clamps.

Here is a photo of a speaker build in the clamps in my shop.

Notice how it sits flat also.

Finally Any PVA glue will do. Tightbond, Elmers they are all quality and MDF (I assume you are using MDF) loves PVA glue.

If you can get a brad nailer it really helps with assembly. You can hold things in place until you get the clamps on it.

Good luck, enjoy the project!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/19639579

These clamps are bulletproof and fairly inexpensive. Do a search for Jorgensen Pony clamps.

About $10 each plus the cost of black pipe.

The Harbor Freight version is $6 right now plus pipe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know they aren't great, BUT I just bought a 4 pack of the quick grippers from Lowes for $20. I like them, as the same person who said they(basically) don't hold for **** said that good fitting joints can be held together with packing tape? Go figure...and yes, I DO know what you were getting at. Anyway, if you still want them, they worked really well for my trans-lam.

Matt

·
Registered
352 Posts
I personally like the cheap Bessy clamps, or this kind . As for glue, I use Titebond or Elmers, unless I can get my hands on on PL Premium. Available anywhere, if you look for it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts