AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know it may sound silly to want an HD player to use with a 480P projector, but I suspect that it will be worth having. My projector looks better with an HD STB than with a DVD as a source.

I'm thinking A2, or A3. I prefer to use the component inputs on the player, so I need a player that puts out a high quality 480i or 480p picture on component.

I also plan to rent movies, so I want a player that's good with less than perfect discs.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
A3 would probably be best. From what I have heard it is slightly better with scratched disks and the component output is the same quality as the A2.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I would also suggest the HD-A3. With the new lowered Toshiba prices for the third gen players the savings alone makes it worth it. Currently the HD-A3 is the #1 top selling player in the dvd category on Amazon and is selling at only $125 with 5 free HD DVD movies (practically free). Plus you have the added bonus of all the interactive HD DVD features and web interactivity.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
You are better off with a progressive SD DVD player with dvi/hdmi output if your projector supports it. Then VGa. then component.

You will not notice any difference with HD in resolution.

You may notice a difference in color saturation, but you can tweak that some with the right player.

$150+ is alot to just increase color saturation.

Especially if you are limited to component. VGA has 2x the bandwidth. Digital is the best.

The other problem that you are going to run into is that HD players will not output HD via component. They are afraid you will copy the analog signal. I believe most downsize to I think 576p. REgardless, the image will have to be reduced more than half the lines of resolution which is gonna cause problems. Plus you are gonna pay through the nose for HD material.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/12907485

You are better off with a progressive SD DVD player with dvi/hdmi output if your projector supports it. Then VGa. then component.

You may notice a difference in color saturation, but you can tweak that some with the right player.

$150+ is alot to just increase color saturation.

Especially if you are limited to component. VGA has 2x the bandwidth. Digital is the best.

The other problem that you are going to run into is that HD players will not output HD via component. They are afraid you will copy the analog signal. I believe most downsize to I think 576p. REgardless, the image will have to be reduced more than half the lines of resolution which is gonna cause problems. Plus you are gonna pay through the nose for HD material.

I'm using HDMI from my HD STB tuner / DVD player now.

I was concerned that scaling the HD disc down to 576P or 480P might reduce the quality unless the scaler is really good. I'm hearing that these upconvert really well, so maybe they downconvert well too. The OTA HD TV programs from my STB look better than DVDs on my setup. I realize both are displayed at 480P. The differences are not in resolution.

I know that you can't upconvert SD on component, but are you certain about HD on component?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
You are correct, hd is not limited over component only SD DVD restrictions

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl /forum/post/12908753

I'm using HDMI from my HD STB tuner / DVD player now.

I was concerned that scaling the HD disc down to 576P or 480P might reduce the quality unless the scaler is really good. I'm hearing that these upconvert really well, so maybe they downconvert well too. The OTA HD TV programs from my STB look better than DVDs on my setup. I realize both are displayed at 480P. The differences are not in resolution.

I know that you can't upconvert SD on component, but are you certain about HD on component?

But why would you want to convert anything when you don't have to. The idea is to do as little as possible to the image before it is displayed.

I have a 720p projector. When I play 720p content versus 1080p content online, the 1080p always ends up looking a little softer.

imagine this simple test image in ascii

[email protected]@[email protected]@@OO (11 horizontal lines)

[email protected]@O (converted to 5 lines)

[email protected]@O (original at 5 lines)

It will convert to the same but how about this

[email protected]@[email protected]@@@OO

who knows what the conversion could do?

It might choose this

[email protected]@O

or this

[email protected]@@O

at least the original 4 lines will have what the studio intended.

There may be one instance where 1080p is better at 480p and that is if the source is 480i, but there are rarely any DVDs that are

interlaced anymore.

My suggestion is to wait until you get a 720p/1080p projector. By then, a format may be established or prices may drop or both. Or maybe everything goes streaming by then. but either way, you are just literally wasting money at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/12907485

The other problem that you are going to run into is that HD players will not output HD via component. They are afraid you will copy the analog signal. I believe most downsize to I think 576p.

Pure RUBBISH!

As anyone with a STB knows, sending an HD channel as 480p looks much better than any SD channel. The same applies to HD-DVDs vs DVDs. Even downscaled to 480p, you will have much less compression artifacts, macroblocking, less edge enhancement, etc. Not a waste of money at all.

Your other statement is also false in the real world. While players will recognize a downrez flag on component out to 540p, no HD-DVDs have been produced with this flag. And aren't likely to before the format dies.

Besides he only has a 480p projector, so what difference does it make if component is downrezed or not?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've used both the A1 and A2 on my infocus x1 and compared SD and HD versions of the same movie and can honestly say that I and my wife for that matter can see a pretty big improvement over SD discs even at 480p but I let my projector feel special and let it think its displaying 1080i

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12911872

Pure RUBBISH!

As anyone with a STB knows, sending an HD channel as 480p looks much better than any SD channel. The same applies to HD-DVDs vs DVDs. Even downscaled to 480p, you will have much less compression artifacts, macroblocking, less edge enhancement, etc. Not a waste of money at all.

Your other statement is also false in the real world. While players will recognize a downrez flag on component out to 540p, no HD-DVDs have been produced with this flag. And aren't likely to before the format dies.

Besides he only has a 480p projector, so what difference does it make if component is downrezed or not?

I have a HTPC, HD-A3 and Phillips DVP-642/37.

I used to have an epson home 20 480p. I have upgraded to a 720p.

I am speaking from experienc with a 480p projector. As I said, HD will look better but it is not because of artifacts. That has more to do with the how the film was transitioned.

The difference is that colors are stronger in HD.... but I don't know if it is worth an upgrade. There is not much of a gain.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaivt /forum/post/12912943

I've used both the A1 and A2 on my infocus x1 and compared SD and HD versions of the same movie and can honestly say that I and my wife for that matter can see a pretty big improvement over SD discs even at 480p but I let my projector feel special and let it think its displaying 1080i

Do you set the A2 output resolution to 480p or 1080i for your x1 projector?

I have an IN72. I really don't "need" a better player, but if I can get the deal I want on an A2 or A3, then I might try one. I'm really hoping Walmart will have some deals on the A2 soon.

How did the A2 or A3 look with standard DVDs when compared to a standard DVD player?

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12911872

no HD-DVDs have been produced with this flag. And aren't likely to before the format dies.

You're wrong about that. The German Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 have the image constraint token on the discs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts