AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on portable headphone amps to use while traveling.

Purchased a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Like them a lot. Samsung S5 is a bit weak on powering them and want more volume. Traveling to a few conferences and need to be able to jam out during the breaks in order to keep what little sanity I have remaining intact.

Nothing too expensive and small. Will have enough stuff to lug around already.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What is your budget? Try Fiio E07K enough to push Ath 50x. and cheap. the most important. it support Samsung phone with Wolfson Chips.
E07K is a dac + headphone amp. For less money, he can get the E11K which is a better headphone amp. Now, perhaps if the E07K's DAC will connect with the S5 as USB audio, it might be worth the extra money. But he'd have to research that to see.

Reactions: Hammonje

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I have Fiio 07k. I have Samsung Galaxy note 3. It work on my case.
As a headphone amp? Or with USB audio as a DAC, too?

Reactions: Hammonje

·
Registered
538 Posts
I see this thread is well over a month old. I do wonder what the OP ended up buying for an AMP.

About 2 weeks ago I bought the Fiio E18.

The description for that AMP is supposedly an Ideal partner for Android phones, and since it has an
AMP & DAC, I bought it.

I have been testing it more and more everyday, and I gotta say it is an excellent pair.

I have mine matched with JBL S500 headphones and Samsung galaxy S5.

BTW,

It was in the $150 range and well worth every penny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it depends totally on your budget as well as what the quality is that you expect from the amplifier. I got myself a Pro-Ject Headbox DS headphone amplifier recently from Bay Bloor Radio at Toronto as I was not happy with the quality of sound with my headphone. It's good value for money and I am happy with the quality as well. So if you really wanna get it, I would say go for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
C&C BH > E11 (not sure about E11K)

Also got E6 and E12.

E12 is monstrous on power.. I think with ATH M50X's.. E11K/CCBH would be all you'd ever need.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Hard to go wrong with Fiio gear when you're wanting a solid performer without spending much money. If you want to spend a bit more on something really neat, check out the ZO from digizoid.com Gives you contour control over the low end and highs, without altering the tonality. It's a very neat gadget and a powerful little amp.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I see this thread is well over a month old. I do wonder what the OP ended up buying for an AMP.

About 2 weeks ago I bought the Fiio E18.

The description for that AMP is supposedly an Ideal partner for Android phones, and since it has an
AMP & DAC, I bought it.

I have been testing it more and more everyday, and I gotta say it is an excellent pair.

I have mine matched with JBL S500 headphones and Samsung galaxy S5.

BTW,

It was in the $150 range and well worth every penny.
I have that DAC/amp too, though I paid a bit less than that through massdrop, but I agree for Android phones it's a great combo. I'm listening to it right now with my Sony eXperia Z3 tethered with it via USB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're not bound by a specific budget, I would suggest the Oppo HA-2 since it serves as an amp/dac as well as an external battery bank in case you ever run out of batteries. I personally have the unit and have been using it and loving it ever since.

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts