AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a new surround processor soon and I am not familiar with what's out there right now. I was hoping you guys (and girls) could point me in a good direction. I'm trying to shop between 3-5 different brands. I'll be mad at myself if I spend much over $1,500 incl. tax/shipping.

I will be using it with B&W speakers, SVS subwoofer, and a 125w outlaw or emotiva amp. I haven't decided between the 7125 and the UPA-7. The room is 22'x14'x8.5'.

I know I'd like:

7 channels

good look

EQ

under $1,500

new Dolby & DTS decoding

GREAT SOUND!

I think I'd like:

HDMI 1.3

Balanced XLR outputs

HDMI processing (as opposed to switching)

any suggestions for features I'm overlooking here?

I'm not trying to make this a "pick out my gear for me" thread, but I really am clueless on this aspect of HT.

p.s. Is the Outlaw 7125 worth the $300+ over the Emotiva UPA-7? Why?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Or last year's Onkyo Pro 886 (the 5507's predecessor) to save some money. They're both very capable.

If you don't have to have XLR outputs, the current Integra 40.1 is basically a step down from the 5507 for about $1k.

The Emotiva UMC-1 just launched and has some issues, but it should be a contender when/if they get resolved.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I did a little more looking and came across Sherwood.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

Onkyo 886 (I' don't think I need all of the 5507's features)

Outlaw 997 (if it comes out soon)

Sherwood 972

Do any of these stand out as a superior product? Are there any models not on this list that should be?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The Sherwood 972 receiver still seems to be only trickling out and has some issues that need correction (much like the UMC-1). It has a lot of potential, though.

The Outlaw 997 will be a pre-pro version of the Sherwood 972, launch date TBA. It's long delays have resulted in Outlaw stocking the Onkyo 886 just so they have something to sell.

I believe the Onkyo line to be the overall best choice today (I'm using the older 885). You may want to see if there's an Integra dealer/installer in your area, too. The Integra 9.9 pre-pro is the same hardware as the Onkyo 886, except for the front panel. The Onkyos tend to be available cheaper unless the Integra dealer is willing to cut you a great deal, but it can't hurt to check.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ray. I have always had a bad association with Onkyo. My only dealings with them were around the mid to late 1990s, and I guess they may not have been at their best then. I guess I just need to shed the bad stigma in my mind and give it a try.

Is the 9.9 literally the same in build quality, parts used?

Is there any big difference between the 886, 9.9, 40.1, and 80.1 that I should concern myself with?

·
Registered
134 Posts
from my understanding the 9.9 and the 886 are identical

80.1 is the 5507 without i think and could be completly wrong Pure mode but adding audessy pro capability. That is what i read in my search on the 5507.

I dont know anything about the 40.1 other then it does not have xlr

The 886 unit itself is great unit. No issues on my end yet. If I did not have upgrade sickness(2 ubmersives, remote, and soon to be 5507 this year alone) I would not be getting rid of mine. Even at that i am still a little bit scared to upgrade to the 5507 because of the "clicking issue". My friend has a 807 and if it clicks as much as his reviever and as loud im not sure what i am going to do....

The 5507 and 80.1 have one feature that i am after and that is the abilty to run heights.

As for features the 5507/80.1 has over the 886/9.9 that i know of are

Audessy DSX

PLIIz

Network capabilties

Network updatable firmware

9.2 vs 7.1

That is about all i can remember right now. There is a pdf floating around somewhere about the differences.

Im prety sure you can get a really good deal on new or used 886 or 9.9 right now.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The only difference between the Onkyo Pro and equivalent Integra pre-pros is the lack of Pure Audio mode on Integra. That's only on the Onkyo products (you'd think it would be the other way around, since Integra is Onkyo's "upscale" line). But unless you have big full-range speakers, you won't be using that anyway as bass management is disabled in Pure, so the low frequencies don't get diverted to the subwoofer.

And yes, other than that (and the front panel layout), they are identical hardware. Onkyo 885 = Integra 9.8, 886 = 9.9, 5507 = 80.1. The Integra 40.1 is unique, though, with no corresponding Onkyo product. If you take the top panel off an Integra, you see a giant toroidal power supply with "Integra" stamped on the top. If you open an Onkyo, you see a giant toroidal power supply with a decal on top saying "Onkyo Professional." If you remove that decal, you find "Integra" stamped underneath.

I know what you mean about bad association with Onkyo, but they really took the pre-pro world by storm a couple of years ago with the 885. It was literally in a class and price-point of it's own, and Onkyo is still holding onto that lead with the newer products. Some of the competitors are closing the gap, but they haven't quite gotten there yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wrote this up...I hope this can help someone else too!

Onkyo 886

4 HDMI inputs

XLR out

MultEQ XT

HQV Reon-XV

$1,500

Integra 9.9

Same as above, but $2,000

Integra 40.1

6 HDMI inputs

no XLR out

MultEQ

a few less I/Os than the rest

a few less features than the rest (no sat. radio, etc.)

$1,400

Integra 80.1

7 HDMI inputs

XLR out

tons of I/Os & features

MultEQ XT

HQV Reon-VX

$2,300

Onkyo 5507

Same as above, but $3,500

My final questions: (promise)

How much better is MultEQ XT than MultEQ?

I don't know if the prices I listed are accurate. Could someone give me an idea of what I might actually pay for an 80.1/5507? 9.9?

Thanks again to all of you!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm not up on current prices, other than I know Outlaw is selling new 886s for $1449 due to delays with their own upcoming pre-pro. The newer models are priced higher each year, as it is generally accepted that Onkyo under-valued the 885/9.8 when they launched (both were available new for under $1500). There was a fire-sale on refurbished 886s recently (although many appeared to actually be "new in box" with a "refurbished" sticker on the outside, simply to clear inventory before the 5507 launch), but I believe the supplies of those have been snapped up.

Oh, I just recalled one other hardware difference, but most people won't be affected... The Onkyo models include a rack-mounting kit in the box. You have to pay an extra $200 to get that as an accessory with the Integra (although they are commonly available for next to nothing from Onkyo owners that don't need or want them.) If you don't rack-mount your equipment, it's not a factor. If you do, grab one off eBay or another AVS member if you buy an Integra.

·
Registered
14,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac86 /forum/post/18165511

Onkyo 886

4 HDMI inputs

XLR out

MultEQ XT

HQV Reon-XV

$1,500

Integra 9.9

Integra 40.1

6 HDMI inputs

no XLR out

MultEQ

$1,400

Integra 80.1

7 HDMI inputs

XLR out

tons of I/Os & features

MultEQ XT

HQV Reon-VX

$2,300

Onkyo 5507

Same as above, but $3,500

I don't know if the prices I listed are accurate. Could someone give me an idea of what I might actually pay for an 80.1/5507? 9.9?

The 5507 is not $3500.00, more like $2300.00 with a street price around $1600.00. Although I can not recall the MSRP prices of the 886 and 9.9 they go for $1K or under used now.

Bill

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Quote:

corrections/clarifications

Onkyo 886

4 HDMI inputs

XLR out

MultEQ XT

HQV Reon-XV

$1,500

Integra 9.9

Integra 40.1

6 HDMI inputs

no XLR out
no 7.1 multi-channel inputs

MultEQ

$1,400

Integra 80.1

7 HDMI inputs actually 8--one on the front input

XLR out

tons of I/Os & features well, not enough for me, but better than others

MultEQ XT and Pro option

HQV Reon-VX

$2,300

Onkyo 5507

Same as above, but $3,500 others noted MSRP $2399

MultEQ XT NO Pro option

Quote:

Bill Mac seems in the range of what we've been reading in the various threads.

Remember the there are no Pre/Pros with the options you want for under $1500 MSRP--though Emotiva is talking of their next step Pro with XLR outs, at MSRP of $999, but, seeing the bugs in their current UMC-1, you probably don't want to wait that long. I've got the Denon DN-A7100 that only has the barest of what you want: 7.1 XLR outs, HDMI 1.1--MPCM only and 5.1 channel max, but good black rackmount facia. And for a street price around $900, good enough for me since my Blu-Ray player doesn't do >5.1 anyway (and only streams the DTS-MA/DDHD codecs). But, with the interest in an Oppo BDP-83 I'm also looking to upgrade, and it seems that unless I'm saving up for a kilo-buck unit, the Onkyo is the best option. But, certainly poke around the thread to learn more.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson /forum/post/18169537

I've got the Denon DN-A7100

I seriously considered the 7100 a couple of years ago but eventually passed because I never could get any owner or Denon support themselves (despite repeated attempts, where CS and even the techs apparently just couldn't comprehend the difference between discrete commands and toggle commands) to specify whether or not it supported discrete power on/off codes from universal remotes, or just a power toggle (which wouldn't work for me due to macro needs). That lack of clarification was literally the only thing that kept me from buying one.

Just out of curiosity, does it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about onkyo tx-sr3007 compare to these products that are mentioned here? It seems to have same features plus Internet connectivity for a street price of $1400. I appreciate feedback on this option.

Thanks,

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, you guys are always a great help. I ended up going withe the Onkyo Integra DHC-80.1. I just purchased it used off of audiogon.

·
Registered
943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac86 /forum/post/18176246

Thanks, you guys are always a great help. I ended up going withe the Onkyo Integra DHC-80.1. I just purchased it used off of audiogon.

Congratulaitons and welcome to the ONKYO PR-SC5507p/Integra DHC-80.1 club. As has already been mentioned, you are going to really enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.