AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a couple subs (1 TC12 driver in each). I want to power them w. a two-channel pro amp. I haven't kept up on such amps b/c I've been running an Infinite Baffle, but recently moved and that isn't an option. So, I need more power. What are some current favorites that put out around 700watts/channel into 4 ohms? Price is flexible. I want something that is going to do a good job. Also, this will be in a rack in the front of the room, so it needs to be reasonably quiet (or capable of safely being modded to make it so).


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had been looking at the Behringer EP2500 (w. the thought of doing a fan mod). It is more in line spec-wise with the Yamaha 3500. Is there a reason you suggested the Behringer 4000? I know in HT receivers, not all watts are the same. Is that the case with Behringer vs. Yamaha? ... Also, how hard is the fan mod? I'm not the most technically inclined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20826326


I had been looking at the Behringer EP2500 (w. the thought of doing a fan mod). It is more in line spec-wise with the Yamaha 3500. Is there a reason you suggested the Behringer 4000? I know in HT receivers, not all watts are the same. Is that the case with Behringer vs. Yamaha? ... Also, how hard is the fan mod? I'm not the most technically inclined.

The easiest fan mod is to pull the fan power header out, snip the cable and thread said cable through a screw hole and drive the built in fan with a cheapie 12v wall wart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20826326


I had been looking at the Behringer EP2500 (w. the thought of doing a fan mod). It is more in line spec-wise with the Yamaha 3500. Is there a reason you suggested the Behringer 4000? I know in HT receivers, not all watts are the same. Is that the case with Behringer vs. Yamaha? ... Also, how hard is the fan mod? I'm not the most technically inclined.

The Behringer EP4000 is identical to the EP2500. The EP2500 is an older model designation, but performance is the same. It's good for just about 700w/ch. The fan is noisy, but it is an easy mod. I've done one myself.


It can be bought new for about $300 +/-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
The EP4000 is the same amp as the EP2500. I expect the Yammie is the more powerful amp, but I've never used one of theirs. If my QSC ever dies, I aim to change that.


Fan mod isn't that hard - a search in the DIY forum should turn up a thread or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20826306


You cant really expect dead on advice with out some kind of price range.... I would say something along the lines of this Crown XTi 1002 .

I'm looking for something in the $500 - $700 range. But, I'd spend more if there was a compelling reason, and I'm always open to spending less if there is a product that totally performs beyond its price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20826368


I'm looking for something in the $500 - $700 range. But, I'd spend more if there was a compelling reason, and I'm always open to spending less if there is a product that totally performs beyond its price.

You definitely want to look at the suggested Crown then. It has full parametric EQ and adjustable HP/LP filters built in, plus an adjustable fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20826395


You definitely want to look at the suggested Crown then. It has full parametric EQ and adjustable HP/LP filters built in, plus an adjustable fan.

I was planning on using a Behringer 1124. Would the Crown's parametric EQ (and maybe HP/LP filters) do the same thing (enabling me to get rid of the 1124)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson /forum/post/20826594


I was planning on using a Behringer 1124. Would the Crown's parametric EQ (and maybe HP/LP filters) do the same thing (enabling me to get rid of the 1124)?

Yes. The crown only has 8 bands of EQ vs 12, but that's more then enough for a sub. Since you do have that EQ you could just get an EP4000 though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod /forum/post/20827689


The EP2500/4000 is a proven, long time, reliable favorite. Best bang for the buck. You can get a brand new EP4000 for around $250 on slickdeals.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=3120604


Thanks! Like I said, I'm not familiar with these, so I really appreciate the input - and the discount site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
I was looking for the same thing a year ago. At the time there was talk about the XTI's not handling LF duty that well. Is that no longer the case? I didn't keep up with it.


I ended up getting a QSC RMX 2450, mainly because I had no luck finding a fanless solution, I heard they had recently made the fan quieter, and there was a sale at the local Guitar Center at that time. I am happy with it.


As far as fan noise I have mine behind a glass door in my TV stand. The enclosure is nowhere near airtight and is about 17 ft away from me. I can only hear it if there is no other noise in the room - if I am listening at normal volumes I can't hear it. If it were out in the open and 15 ft away or less I would probably want it quieter. It runs all the time but the amp never seems to get warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 /forum/post/20827875


Since you are building a sub, stop by the DIY section where this is more applicable.


Are you talking about the TC12 OEM driver from a few years ago?


Yes, I believe that is the driver. Rick Craig of Selah Audio is designing them. He designed some great speakers for me, so I consulted him about the subs.


I thought about posting on the DIY forum. I figured it could go either place. I've gotten some great advice here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 /forum/post/20827988


I was looking for the same thing a year ago. At the time there was talk about the XTI's not handling LF duty that well. Is that no longer the case? I didn't keep up with it.

Not sure about that one myself. I do know the 1002 is rated for less power than either the Behringer or Yamaha... I'd suggest the 2002 instead.


The QSC RMX's are great. It's the design Behringer copied for the EP4000. My 1850HD lives in another room due to the fan noise and the lack of interest on my part to fan mod it. Solid, reliable amps that don't roll off until about 4Hz or so.


Really hard to argue with the price of the Behringer though. It's not as beefy as the QSC model it's copying, but it does make with the power for a low price. The Yamaha can be found around the $500 mark... roughly what I paid for my used QSC.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top