AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a strong progressive DVD player to drive the digital projector in my soon-to-be home theater. It also needs to play DVD-R media.

The top players I've been looking at are the Panasonic DV-RP91 (or possibly 56), the Pioneer DV37, and the Denon 2800. I'm having a devil of a time finding out which of these will play DVD-R media... with the exception of the Denon, which their literature says will not.

Any specific suggestions? Or links to info on compatibility?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I recently picked up the RP91k and I am very happy with it. I can be had within the 500-600 range easily, and as far as progressive playback goes, the picture (to me) is astonishing.

It also has a feture that upconverts CDs from 24 to 96( if your receiver is capable). I am not an expert on the music thing, so maybe someone who uses this alot can chime in.

Hope this helps, Fred

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fred... the 91 is near the top of my consideration list. But do you specifically know if it is compatible with DVD-R media? I haven't been able to find a clear answer so far.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Most recent dvd players will play back DVD-Rs. However, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM compatibility is more limited. There are some lists out on the net if you do a search but they are not very up to date.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by pham
Most recent dvd players will play back DVD-Rs. However, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM compatibility is more limited.
The "most" part is what makes me nervous when considering a $500 purchase. :) Specifically, I was dismayed to see my top choice, the Denon 2800, to be incompatible with DVD-R.

Quote:
There are some lists out on the net if you do a search but they are not very up to date.
Yeah... pretty sketchy at best. The most "official" list I've seen for the Pioneer DVR-A03 mechanism I'm using is on Apple's site... but that only shows 20 or so players, and none of the ones I'm looking for. Would love to hear of any other lists.

For what it's worth, the top players I was considering were: Denon 2800, Panasonic RP-91, Pioneer DV 37.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, FrankS... the 91 is near the top of my consideration list. But do you specifically know if it is compatible with DVD-R media? I haven't been able to find a clear answer so far.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
The RP56 plays DVD-R recorded on the Pioneer DVR-7000 just fine. I have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.