AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 7 separate zones (2 speakers in each zone) to which I want to distribute 1 audio source. I recently added the 7th zone. Up until now, I have powered my system via a Sony STR-985 receiver, with 14 gauge speaker wire running to a Pyle un-amplified 6 zone speaker selector, which distributes the signal through 14 gauge speaker wire to the original 6 zones.

I have upgraded the speaker wire running from the speaker wall plate to the speakers to 12 gauge wire (although the speaker wire running from the speaker selector to the speaker wall plate is still 14 gauge to accommodate the limits of the speaker wire outputs on the speaker selector.

INSIDE
2 pairs of Klipsch R-5800-W II (1 room is 12Lx12Wx9H, other is 25Lx15Wx9H)
3 polk 620-RT speakers (1 zone each) (CAll in combo Kitchen/Family Rm 40Lx15Wx9H)
OUTSIDE
1 pair of Polk-Audio-Atrium8 (Patio 20Wx30L)
1 pair of Klipsch AW-500 (Backyard 50Wx100L)

I have 4 questions:

1. The Sony receiver is rated at 600 watts, 100 watts per channel (for 6.1 surround sound). Does that mean that the receiver is only supplying 200 watts (100 watts per channel) to the speaker selector, and the speaker selector is divvying that 200 watts up amongst 12 speakers? Am I correct in calculating that 16.7 watts is being supplied to each speaker?

2. Since there is no room on the speaker selector for the 7th set of speakers, what are the ramifications of attaching that set of speakers to the B speaker output on the Sony receiver? How will that effect power output to the speaker selector?

3. Is any gain in sound or power by replacing 14 gauge speaker wire from the speaker wall plate to the speakers nullified by the fact that the speaker wire from the receiver to the speaker selector and from the speaker selector to the speaker wall plate is only 14 gauge?

4. If I were to upgrade my speaker selector to a powered multi zone amplifier, what is a
good quality but affordable unit that would make a significant difference in power output and sound quality? Since they don't make a 7 zone amplifier, would there be any difference in power output or sound quality by installing a 6 zone amplifier and running the 7th zone from my receiver?

Thank you in advance for your advice and expertise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 7 separate zones (2 speakers in each zone) to which I want to distribute 1 audio source. I recently added the 7th zone. Up until now, I have powered my system via a Sony STR-985 receiver, with 14 gauge speaker wire running to a Pyle un-amplified 6 zone speaker selector, which distributes the signal through 14 gauge speaker wire to the original 6 zones.

I have upgraded the speaker wire running from the speaker wall plate to the speakers to 12 gauge wire (although the speaker wire running from the speaker selector to the speaker wall plate is still 14 gauge to accommodate the limits of the speaker wire outputs on the speaker selector.

INSIDE
2 pairs of Klipsch R-5800-W II (1 room is 12Lx12Wx9H, other is 25Lx15Wx9H)
3 polk 620-RT speakers (1 zone each) (CAll in combo Kitchen/Family Rm 40Lx15Wx9H)
OUTSIDE
1 pair of Polk-Audio-Atrium8 (Patio 20Wx30L)
1 pair of Klipsch AW-500 (Backyard 50Wx100L)

I have 4 questions:

1. The Sony receiver is rated at 600 watts, 100 watts per channel (for 6.1 surround sound). Does that mean that the receiver is only supplying 200 watts (100 watts per channel) to the speaker selector, and the speaker selector is divvying that 200 watts up amongst 12 speakers? Am I correct in calculating that 16.7 watts is being supplied to each speaker?

2. Since there is no room on the speaker selector for the 7th set of speakers, what are the ramifications of attaching that set of speakers to the B speaker output on the Sony receiver? How will that effect power output to the speaker selector?

3. Is any gain in sound or power by replacing 14 gauge speaker wire from the speaker wall plate to the speakers nullified by the fact that the speaker wire from the receiver to the speaker selector and from the speaker selector to the speaker wall plate is only 14 gauge?

4. If I were to upgrade my speaker selector to a powered multi zone amplifier, what is a
good quality but affordable unit that would make a significant difference in power output and sound quality? Since they don't make a 7 zone amplifier, would there be any difference in power output or sound quality by installing a 6 zone amplifier and running the 7th zone from my receiver?

Thank you in advance for your advice and expertise.
Bump.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Reactions: emeraldthree

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
1. It is not that simple but it would be less than 16.7 watts per speaker and your method is fine for simple calculation.

2. Do you have volume controls for all the speakers? It could affect the volume between speakers significantly.

3. At 100 feet you lose about 10% power with 14 gauge and 6.5% power with 12 gauge. 14 to 12 gauge for your application really only has benefits for longer runs or more critical listening areas.

4. It is a difference in power and sound quality and the right way to do multiple speakers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would get one good amp and run it through a Niles or similar speaker selection system. I have used one for years at my house. It works great and you can shut off any zone with the push of a button. Of course I don't know if you can still purchase but there must be something similar. I am currently running a Yamaha A740 to power wall and ceiling speakers in 6 zones. Sounds great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. It is not that simple but it would be less than 16.7 watts per speaker and your method is fine for simple calculation.

2. Do you have volume controls for all the speakers? It could affect the volume between speakers significantly.

3. At 100 feet you lose about 10% power with 14 gauge and 6.5% power with 12 gauge. 14 to 12 gauge for your application really only has benefits for longer runs or more critical listening areas.

4. It is a difference in power and sound quality and the right way to do multiple speakers.
Thank you all for replying.

Am I correct in assuming that if I have only the right and left A speaker channels as the audio source running from the Sony STR-985 receiver to the speaker selector, that there is only 2 channels (100 watts each) being supplied to the speaker selector, and not the additional 400 watts that the receiver could supply if there were speakers hooked up to the other 4 channels of the surround sound?

Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for replying.

Am I correct in assuming that if I have only the right and left A speaker channels as the audio source running from the Sony STR-985 receiver to the speaker selector, that there is only 2 channels (100 watts each) being supplied to the speaker selector, and not the additional 400 watts that the receiver could supply if there were speakers hooked up to the other 4 channels of the surround sound?

Thank you.
Also, by how much does hooking the 7th zone up to the B speaker outputs on the receiver reduce the watts being supplied to the A speaker outputs of the receiver?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Yes that is correct. The reality is if all 6 speakers were playing at the same time that receiver would not be able to give 100 watts to each speaker maybe 70 watts. Using a receiver like this with a speaker selector has a lot of cons, the pluses are it will get you sound to the areas you wish and it is inexpensive. Using a multichannel amp with a good way to control it is much better for sound quality and power available to the speakers but it is significantly more expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts