AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what would sound better for surround sound.

1. A higher-end-but-older dolby digital processor like a Rotel rsp-1068.

2. Or should I go with a newer model AVR from one of the big names like Denon 28xx-38xx series with HDMI and TrueHD.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Newer receiver may offer -

* Room correction or better room correction

* Easier auto setup

* More flexible and convenient video switching ( such as converting analog to HDMI for a single cable connection to your TV)

* HDMI audio for the potential improvement of lossless audio over lossy audio ( Hardly critical in my opinion due to the high quality DD and DTS avail from Blue-Ray)

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac311 /forum/post/17010289

I want to know what would sound better for surround sound.

1. A higher-end-but-older dolby digital processor like a Rotel rsp-1068.

2. Or should I go with a newer model AVR from one of the big names like Denon 28xx-38xx series with HDMI and TrueHD.

Since DD or DTS decode the same way in all products I would pick based on features and newer lossy or lossless codecs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone personally attest for the difference between standard Dolby Digital and these newer formats like TrueHD?

I am asking this because if I can settle on a unit that only decodes older formats, I can afford to put more into the amplification department. Just so you know, I run 87 db sensitivity B&W CDM1 bookshelfs in a 3500 cu ft room with extensive room treatment.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac311 /forum/post/17010442

Can anyone personally attest for the difference between standard Dolby Digital and these newer formats like TrueHD?

I am asking this because if I can settle on a unit that only decodes older formats, I can afford to put more into the amplification department. Just so you know, I run 87 db sensitivity B&W CDM1 bookshelfs in a 3500 cu ft room with extensive room treatment.

What is your total budget?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About $750, but I can go higher if you guys can give me a compelling reason why I should. I have pretty nice B&W's up front and some pretty inefficient (85 db) Infinity dipoles in the rear along with a 3500 cu ft room.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac311 /forum/post/17010459

About $750, but I can go higher if you guys can give me a compelling reason why I should. I have pretty nice B&W's up front and some pretty inefficient (85 db) Infinity dipoles in the rear along with a 3500 cu ft room.

The B&W's are 8 ohm but they are no longer on the B&W site so I don't know how much power they can handle? Do you have the specs for your speakers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 /forum/post/17010466

The B&W's are 8 ohm but they are no longer on the B&W site so I don't know how much power they can handle? Do you have the specs for your speakers?

They'll take 125 watts at 8 ohms. But reviews showed them dipping as low as 3.5-4.0 ohms.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac311 /forum/post/17010442

There was a listening test done. I have a link to it in the stickied AVR FAQ.

There was a thread about that listening test, with the usual detractors who want to believe there's a huge difference
Logic would dictate there is not a big difference if you honestly compare different MP3 rates, you should not hear a big difference one the rates get high enough.

Note that DD on Blu-ray is 640 kbs. For 5.1, that's over 106 kbs / channel. 128 kbs MP3 is 64 kbs / channel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 /forum/post/17010489

I don't see a problem with a new receiver driving those speakers.

I went to best buy yesterday and compared the Denon 2809 to the competetive Pioneer Elite and Yamaha, and the Denon sounded easily the cleanest for 2 channel.

I see that the Denon 3808ci weighs about 5-10 lbs more than the other Denons, but they didn't have that one.

What do you guys think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts